Urgent - burning smell from elec meter cupboard

I realise we were using a lot at the time, but the trip switch should have protected it.

I turned most appliances off and it seems to be ok now.

Can’t say for certain exactly what was burning or overheating, but if it’s the meter or lead in to it, would Bulb have to organise someone to come out and take a look at it?

I would contact your local DNO (Distribution Network Operator) for advice : as per Emergencies and supply outages – Bulb .

It might be safe (the fact circuit breakers haven’t tripped and you’ve still got power so the main fuse hasn’t tripped), but they’ll be able to advise further.

If you feel confident and have somebody on standby with a wooden broom to knock you away, very carefully put the back of your hand near the distribution box/fuse box/circuit breaker (don’t open boxes/units) and then the meter. If you feel heat on either, then a contact has probably melted/overheated preventing fuses/breakers from tripping - again, call 105 for assistance and they’ll be able to advice (they might say ‘Call Bulb in the morning/Call a local electrician in the morning’ but they might give other advice : they are insured and trained to provide that advice - we fellow customers are not so follow our advice at your own risk.

( Why the back of your hand? If there is an electric short, your hand muscles might close causing you to grip the live circuit being unable to let go - using the back of the hand means you are unlikely to be able to grip the thing that is shocking you. Why the wooden broom? If there is an electrical shock, the broom can be used to safely knock you over [by pushing the back of your knees] without risk to the other person. Won’t be pleasant for you, but better than a long electrical shock)

[edited to remove the bit about UK Power Networks as they are just the DNO in the South East)

Will do, cheers mate!

An urgent burning smell and you chose to post on a forum?

We’ll be emailing the fire brigade soon.

Get a local electrican round to find the cause…

Or do it yourself if you are a “competent person”…

Burning smell could be a great many things - a local electrician would be the best first point of contact if you can’t yourself establish whether or not it’s the meter/knockout/main incoming fuse.

The DNO will likely charge you quite a bit for the visit if it’s an issue with the customer side rather than the DNO side. A sparky will likely only charge you for a callout to organise a DNO visit if it’s not on the customer side.

A burning smell could be a great many things - a local electrician would be the best first point of contact if you can’t yourself establish whether or not it’s the meter/knockout/main incoming fuse.

The DNO will likely charge you quite a bit for the visit if it’s an issue with the customer side rather than the DNO side. A sparky will likely only charge you for a callout to organise a DNO visit if it’s not on the customer side.

Or do it yourself if you are a "competent person"..
I suspect as they're asking on the Bulb forum for advice, they're unlikely to be competent in electrical troubleshooting.