Usage Graphs

I use the graph to see/track my actual monthly usage (rather than a billing month). I notice that the actual usage is only shown for a period of about 5 months (currently for me September-January) and that the rest of the graph are projected usage and thus greyed out. As I joined Bulb in May last year I would really like to be able to see my actual monthly usage from joining in May until now. May to August were initially there but have dropped off when I submitted my end of month reading. Are the projected usage for May to August for this year my actual readings from the previous year??

Hi @coreenstephen , thanks for letting us know about this! We know it can be a bit of a pain not being able to see your actual readings from 6 months +, and it’s something we’ll take into account when we redesign the usage charts.

The projected usage for May - August this year is not last May’s usage - it’s based on your estimated annual usage.

We’d love to know what our community would you like to see in a future version of the usage chart - what would help you understand your energy usage? E.g. actual readings for your whole time at Bulb; your usage vs similar households’ etc

Cheers, Sian

Having used several usage charts for commercial applications, the nice simple monthly bar chart with the ability to scroll backwards through the accumulated data is a good place to start.

Adding features such as comparison to last/previous year(s), comparison to similar houses are also good to help you see what’s occurring.

Whatever you do - keep it simple to make it most use!

AND…

How much data do you need before you start putting usage graphs onto the website for users?

I believe Bulb uses the “industry supplied” data for the property (i.e. “Property XYZ is expected to use XXXX Kwh Electricity this year”) which they then graph with ratings and then use whole month data readings to “correct” it (I know I didn’t get a “completed graph” for December when I joined on the 8th of December, but did get a graph for January as there were meter readings either side [along with ones every weekend]).

Hmmm… Not seeing anything graphed at the moment just a “We don’t have enough data to draw a graph yet” message…

We'd love to know what our community would you like to see in a future version of the usage chart - what would help you understand your energy usage? E.g. actual readings for your whole time at Bulb; your usage vs similar households' etc

This is what I use so that I can monitor both monthly and for previous years £s usage, I also have similar bar charts for kWH so I can monitor usage.
P.S. Ignore the April/May figures as that was me checking against the new rates.

@Walti thanks for your suggestions. I’ve just spoofed into your account to check, and it looks like your graph is now showing!

@RichyB good explanation

@scudo brilliant graphs! Really interesting to see how big the dip is in summer vs winter usage. What do you think has caused your changes from year-to-year - have you seen any patterns from changes you’ve made?

Sian at Bulb

What do you think has caused your changes from year-to-year - have you seen any patterns from changes you've made?
Gas: Generally my gas bill has trended downwards this has been due to making adjustments to the gas heating, things like turning off at 22.30 rather than 23.00, this makes little difference to comfort levels but saves half hour of gas per day, similarly for periods throughout the day keeping the stat 1° lower as I am more active during the day. I have also during this period made switches from S.Power > OVO > Bulb. Of course other variables make it more difficult like external temp and wind factors and then differing holiday dates can make some months look less/more favourable. Overall especially when you consider price increases since I started monitoring I am pleased with the reductions.

In summary I would argue that the biggest changes can be made by monitoring your usage and making small tweaks along the way.
When I moved here 7 years ago my utility bills were just under £1500 per year, I now pay under £900 per year (4 bed detached occupied 24/7, running 15 radiators) I am comfortable but will not hesitate to turn up the heat if required.

Electricity: Despite price increases my bills have remained quite stable, this is mainly due to converting the most used shower to run off the gas system rather than elec, I have also swapped several halogen (13 x 60W) spots to LED panels (6 x 12W) and use timers to turn off standby features on some electrical items overnight. The changes have been made over a period of 2/3 years.

I would agree with Walti - the ability to scroll backwards to previous data would be perfect and simple! thanks everyone for your thoughts. I am disappointed that I literally can see 5 months of real data. I really wanted to compare versus previous year with other suppliers.

I would agree with Walti - the ability to scroll backwards to previous data would be perfect and simple! thanks everyone for your thoughts. I am disappointed that I literally can see 5 months of real data. I really wanted to compare versus previous year with other suppliers.

I had the same issues with previous suppliers thats why I started doing my own. I only have to put in my gas/elec reading each month and it automatically updates all my costs / charts etc.

Good Morning All,

Carrying out year on year comparisons isn’t always straight forward as weather can vary considerably making it difficult to monitor relatively small changes. I mentioned condensing boilers in another post very recently and one of the more noticeable steps in reducing our gas consumption came about when we operated our old LPG condensing boiler in the condensing mode.

When the boiler was first fitted we knew we wouldn’t be able to operate it ‘properly’ but it was designed to be able to operate conventionally i.e, water going out at 80 degrees and returning at 60 degrees. As we improved the insulation values we were able to operate it at 70 degrees out, 50 degrees return which firmly placed it in the condensing mode. Granted in the early days there were occasions when it had to be reset to conventional operation when it wasn’t able to maintain the house at a reasonable temperature.

I’ve monitored our energy consumption since 2002 (sad I know) but it is now lower than ever. We ripped the lath and plaster and suspended timber floor out of the Dining Room last year (replaced with UFH in Supaflo screed and more insulation in the timber framed walls etc., we also replaced the old DG windows in the two front rooms with TG units along with a new TG front door). The old 9.8kW Mira pumped shower has now been replaced with a Mira Adept shower driven off the hot water from the heat pump. The LPG boiler has now been replaced with a CTC GSi 12 heat pump. We now have 5.675kW of solar PV (was 4kW) and 60off 1.5mtr x 47mm Solar ET tubes.

The Solar ET installation has been a bit frustrating so far mainly due to the fact the installers haven’t yet eliminated all the air from the system so from about July 10th and the rest of the summer the system wasn’t functioning.

I have installed a Growatt SP2000 5kWHr battery system but I’ll need to see how this performs this year as to whether it stays ( I have an Immersun unit which diverts ‘excess’ Solar PV energy to heat water in the heat store first and only then will ‘excess’ energy be used to charge the battery storage and only 1.675kW is dedicated to this function). Assuming the Solar ET does its thing this year we should see more Solar PV being diverted so hopefully the Growatt system will function more frequently. The downside of the SP2000 is that it won’t allow night time charging using Economy 7, the SP3000 does and so do other battery systems.

All lights are energy saving of one form or another.

An annual consumption of 12MW is still high (compared to those of you in much more modern properties) but the house is still work in progress, the Living Room, Hall and downstairs bathroom have still to be upgraded.

Regards

Richard

Really interesting @scudo , thanks for sharing! And thanks @coreenstephen, we do know this is frustrating and it’s something we are looking to change

linesrg

Richard

I also monitor my energy consumption so you are not alone.

You can make an adjustment for the weather using Heating Degree Days. Have a look here https://www.stark.co.uk/degree-days-for-free/ or here www.vesma.com. I’ve used it to compare consumption at my old house with my new house. which are both in completely different parts of the country. It makes some assumptions but its better than nothing.

I found that using the room thermostat with an optimised start made a big difference in my old house, as you weren’t heating the house unnecessarily just to get it to temperature. Rather than set the thermostat to come at a fixed time each day so it was ‘comfortable’ when you get up or come back from work, you set the time you want it to be comfortable by and the thermostat works out when to switch on. The actual switch on time varied significantly from one day to the next depending on the outside temperature.

David