User Manual/Operator Manual

The two nice chaps from Morissons installed my electric meter stuff,top bit is *“EDMI standard 420 CS-010A-01-01” and the bit underneath is a “Landys+Gyr E470 type 5424” I have enclosed a picture of what seems to be a modular approach to my installation.They also left me with the Chameleon IHD6 CAD PPMID,which was on firmware 1.7,but which updated after a few hours to firmware 1.9,However they DID NOT leave me with any user instructions so I am in the dark as to what the green and grey A and B buttons do,can some kind soul send me a PDF of the user guide please? RSVP,Regards,Ray

Why don’t you just push them and see what happens? Don’t think your in any grave danger of being electrocuted. But I’ve been wrong before!

You’re not the user of the equipment, that’s the energy supplier. You don’t get any instructions. As @skippy64 said, in the past I’ve just pressed the buttons and worked out what they did myself. But I do understand not everyone is so blasé about pressing random buttons as me!

Shocking work from Morissons by the way. Those meter tails (the cables) the supposed to be secured with cable clips, not just left flapping. I’d report that to the DNO and get it fixed.

1 Like

You are just the recipeint of whatever gremlins come through the meter and invade your home, and perchance the bill payer on receiving and using the aforementioned gremlins

I didn’t know you could report dodgy installations. Bulbs installers left our old analogue meter in place, in series with the new digital meter! I quite like it as a museum piece but…

Who do you report these things to?

In the first instance I’d report it to the supplier, and complain about the poor workmanship. I’d also consider reporting to the DNO for the area. I’m not sure if they’d do anything if it’s not an immediate safety issue, but I would certainly consider those tails to be a safety issue.

As I understand it, the reports in the media about “smart meter fires” have all been to do with poor installations, which basically means incorrectly/insufficiently tightened connections. This also includes the connections inside the consumer unit, which are not checked after a meter installation even though they could quite well have become loose during the work.

When the meter tails are left flapping like that, they can get snagged on something and move, causing the connections to work loose. Given those connections could potentially have up to 23kW running through them with a 100A supply fuse, you really don’t want them to be loose. That’s when fires start. Depending on where the meter is located, maybe no one ever goes near it and it’s nothing to worry about. Still poor workmanship.

Your old analogue meter is surprising. I understood that when a meter is swapped they must take the old one away. When my smart meters were installed this was taken very seriously by Providor (the contractor). The old meters were security sealed in barcode tagged bags and scanned into a tracking system before being chucked on the van. Maybe they don’t do that when a meter is super old. I’d still want it removing though, it’s just another fire hazard especially for the age. Since you’re not with Bulb any more, I guess you need to raise this with Octopus in the first instance. Then, or possibly in parallel, talk to your DNO. Since it’s a meter issue the DNO probably wont be interested but worth a try if you get nowhere with the supplier.

I was surprised too. The meters were wired together so there is no way the installer didn’t know they were doing this. I wasn’t present at home while this was done or I’d have queried it. Here’s a pic:

I’m not too concerned about fire safety but it is a waste of space. I do plan to get the meters moved somewhere more out of the way (now that they are smart and don’t need to be read) and presumably when that happens the old one will end up in the bin.

Urgh. That’s a bit gash isn’t it.