Vehicle-2-Grid?

It was just announced that a few energy companies are doing V2G rollouts, allowing you to use your car as a battery that you can sell back to the grid (and in theory, power your home during a cut if they supply an isolator?). I notice Octopus is on that list, who are probably one of Bulb’s primary competitors in the breed of “yes we are actually human” custom service and green energy suppliers.

Any plans to join in Bulb? Having just picked up a Leaf I’d quite like to use it as a house battery and make a bit of cash off of it.

Ahh, so that’s why Octopus have got so expensive!

I love how it’s a 7m scheme but only 135 chargers…

I’ve just got hold of a Zoe, so I’m curious about this area too and what Bulb’s plans might be.

@AndrewC, I may be wrong but I don’t believe the Zoe can do V2G. I know that both the new leaf and EV-200 van can but I wasn’t aware of any other (UK available) vehicles that are capable of this yet.

I think, you may be right, mowcius, about the Zoe, unfortunately. The next gen Zoe might be capable.

BTW, how do you know so much?!

Haha, just a general interest in energy/environmentalism/technology.

Transport wise, Fully Charged presented by Robert Llewellyn and Jonny Smith is my main source of information.

Haha, just a general interest in energy/environmentalism/technology.

Transport wise, Fully Charged presented by Robert Llewellyn and Jonny Smith is my main source of information.

It’s quite a knowledgeable general interest!

Thanks, I am subscribed to Fully Charged. They’re great. I also watch https://www.youtube.com/user/transportevolved.
As I’ve had an electric car for a month I’ve been reading about them for a few months. And learning about my electricity supply in the process.

I also watch https://www.youtube.com/user/transportevolved.
I hadn't seen that before. Not sure what I think to their green screen news setup, but it looks like they've got some good videos!

Apparently the setups cost a good £5-7k a piece.

Might as well buy a Powerwall and not trash your car’s battery at that price.

Where can I read about costings?

As far as I know V2G might actually help the health of a battery.

Any plans to join in Bulb? Having just picked up a Leaf I'd quite like to use it as a house battery and make a bit of cash off of it.

We don’t have any plans for V2G at Bulb just yet, as we super focused on rolling out prepayment and smart meters. But it’s something we’re definitely considering offering in future since there is so much community demand for it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for your reply, Jenny.

It seem things might be still somewhat experimental:
ncl.ac.uk/press/articles/latest/2018/01/v2grollout/

Apparently the setups cost a good £5-7k a piece.

Might as well buy a Powerwall and not trash your car’s battery at that price.

Initial research from the University of Warwick shows that V2G can actually be beneficial to your car’s battery, improving it’s overall lifespan.

Initial research from the University of Warwick shows that V2G can actually be beneficial to your car's battery, improving it's overall lifespan.
That's very interesting but it does rely on the V2G system caring about the specific charge of your car's battery to keep it at an optimal state of charge. Although I suppose your car could restrict what can be taken/given to keep the batteries happy.

Hi,

I was wondering if Bulb have re-considered this topic at all? I think V2G would work very well with the smart meter tariff that you are piloting.

It would be a shame to see Bulb left behind on your amazing green credentials.

I’m happy to discuss further and be a pilot customer if it helps!