Very high bill in Aug

Please help. I usually give my meter readings, sometimes they’re late but they are eventually given. Looking at my Bill’s it reads around £60 for months leading up to winter so June/July etc - my account was in credit. Aug was a massive £243 and Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec have all been around £140 mark. I’m wondering about the Aug amount because 1) its very high and 2) I was away for 2 weeks and the house was empty…its very strange. Even if I had have been in the house to have that amount when all the others are a lot cheaper is surprising to me. Ive tried help button but haven’t seen anything that does help. Could I ask for detailed numbers for my account because it’s very strange imo. Thanks for any help given.

This is a customer forum and the Bulb team don’t come on here often.

If you check out your statement for August which shows £243, does it show estimated or customer meter readings?

Bulb wouldn’t know you were away for 2 weeks in August unless you told them

1 Like

Almost certainly several of the bills leading up to the “big” August bill were estimated rather than based on actual readings. The estimates were too low and so you got a catch up bill when giving an actual reading in August.

The “detailed numbers” are on the statements you get each month. Check all of them. Out of interest, why are you only now querying a big bill 4 months later? Have you only just noticed it?

1 Like

I had same huge 400% increase for three months with no explanation and they were not estimates. I contacted bulb 7 times, and have been ignored. Also my annual amount has change form 700 to 1100 with no reason given or prior notice . There has been no communication regarding switching tarif or otherwise. I;m not pursuing legs action. Clearly there is something fraudulent happening and I;m sure others are maybe experiencing this too?

1 Like

Welcome to the Community.

For clarity what increased by 400%, was it you direct debit, the cost of energy used or your annual estimate energy costs or something else?

1 Like

I now cant get in to my account to see anything, itll be back up in the morning. It was nearly all Electric bill, from memory.

I can’t get back into my account to check anything, says it’ll be back up in the morning, I’ll check then.

cant get back into my account to check anything, says itll be back up in the morning, I’ll check then.

I’ve been in and out of hospital so only just catching up with everything

cant get back into my account to check anything, says itll be back up in the morning, I’ll check then.

Lol I’m aware they wouldn’t have known, I mentioned it because it’s even stranger because I was away.

@lesleytherapy1 I am 100% confident that at no point has anyone experienced Bulb doing anything fraudulent. You might consider being careful with such libel unless you have actual proof of your allegations.

If your statements have been based on actual meter readings, then there are only two possibilities - either you really have used the metered energy, or your meter is faulty. Neither situation is fraudulent. Bulb will check a faulty meter if you ask, but if no fault is found then the work will be at your cost so you should be confident that the meter really is faulty. There are a few simple tests you can do to check if your meter is more-or-less right or not before starting the process for requesting a check meter - what have you done so far to confirm your metered and billed usage is wrong?

You say you’ve contacted Bulb 7 times and been ignored. It’s true that Bulb’s customer service via email is rather poor. Have you tried phoning them or using live chat? Real time customer support such as these are rather harder to ignore than an email.

1 Like

Hi. I havent said I’ve tried to contact bulb 7 times. I came on here to ask if there could be a reason for the high bill? I’ve only just moved to Bulb and I asked in the community as I thought someone might have an answer (ie, they take more winter months to cover extra usage) or (I’d check just to be sure as the high amount is very different) I don’t know, just thought I could get some reasons. I’ll try calling them tomorrow.

1 Like

Ahhhhhhhh recieved an email and although I’ve been given readings theyve estimated. All sorted with them

1 Like

Sorry Lise. @lesleytherapy1 hijacked your thread, and I was replying to them.

Glad to hear it’s all been sorted out.

1 Like

Why did Bulb use estimated rather the meter reading you supplied to them?

1 Like

Human error, it happens. It’s all sorted now.

1 Like

I made the switch to bulb in August From a recommendation and monthly bills have been what was suggested By bulb for a 2 bed semi. had smart meters installed beginning of December and now our bill has jumped from £60-£69 average per month to £146.not entirely sure how this is the case when we also have solar panels on our property also, I have called multiple times as the smart meter is playing up and no one seems to be able to sort the problem with the meter or tell me why the price has hiked so much, the app is telling me to also lower our monthly payments from £67 to £55 but then bills us for £146. luckily we had a decent amount of credit to cover this but i wish we never had the thing installed now. When the meter Does work it reckons we spend £3.50-£4 a day on energy! Seems a lot for a 2 bed Semi with just me and my partner working full time. has anyone else experienced a hike in price after smart meter installed at all?