Warm Home Discount 2021-2022 applications are now open

Hi Community,

Daisy and Miriam here!

We have an update on this year’s Warm Home Discount: applications have opened today, 15 September.

The Warm Home Discount gives eligible members £140 towards their winter energy bills. We’re really excited to open earlier this year, as it allows more people to apply ready for winter.

Here we’ll outline:

  • Broader group applications
  • Our new broader group criteria
  • Information for our Core Group members getting contacted by the Department for Work and Pensions

Broader group information:

Applications are now open! Members who have previously registered their interest will be contacted with a link to apply. Or you can start your application on the Warm Home Discount page.

To be eligible for the broader group, you need to:

Useful information:

  • We have a limited number of spaces so we process applications on a first come, first served basis.
  • There are 3 types of Employment & Support Allowance and, in our criteria for 2021/2022, we only accept two types including: Support group ESA and Income related ESA.
  • We don’t accept the ‘Contribution based ESA’.

As a reminder, the person in receipt of the benefits does need to be named on the account - you can add that person to your statements here if they live at the property.

Update for this year:

You spoke and we listened! Based on your feedback from 2020/2021, we have expanded the age group for children in full-time education from 16 to 18, so our new broader group eligibility criteria is:

You’re responsible for a child aged 18 or younger. If they’re aged between 16 and 18, they must be in full-time education.

We hope that this will allow us to support more people who have children at home. To meet this criteria, you’ll have to show us proof of parental responsibility. If your child is between 16 and 18, you’ll also need to show us a confirmation or enrolment letter from the school or college they are attending. :books: :nerd_face:

Core Group information:

You can get the Warm Home Discount with Bulb as part of the Core Group if both of the following apply:

  • you joined Bulb on or before 4 July 2021
  • you get the guarantee credit element of Pension Credit

You don’t need to apply to receive the Warm Home Discount if you’re part of the core group. The Department for Work and Pensions will send you a letter between October and December 2021 to let you know if you need to do anything to get the payment. If you haven’t received this by December, contact them directly as we will not be able to credit the Warm Home Discount to your account until we have confirmation from them.

Payment information:

If you pay for your energy monthly by Direct Debit, we’ll add the £140 credit to your Bulb account by 31 March 2022.

If you top up your meters with a key or card, we’ll send you a Post Office voucher with instructions for adding it to your meter. You’ll be able to choose how much goes on each fuel at the Post Office.

If you have smart pay as you go meters, the credit will be added to your electricity meter automatically. You’ll also get an email with a form to transfer as much as you’d like to your gas meter if you’d prefer! :star:

All payments to eligible members will be made by 31 March 2022. :date:

Broader group troubleshooting:

If you’re not sure what information is needed to complete your Broader Group application, or want to check our criteria, you can find more information to see if you’re eligible on our Help Centre. :hugs:

If you’re struggling to upload your documents to your application, you can get support completing your application over the phone. Call us on 0300 303 0635 between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday and select the Warm Home Discount option.

An application is only completed after the documents have been uploaded. We award our spaces on a first-come first-served basis, so make sure to have your documents to hand when you get in touch.

You can find out more about the documents you’ll need for your application in our Help Centre.

1 Like

Hi I called today as I’m having difficulty applying for the warm home grant I have received this every year since I joined bulb my problem now is that I am now in receipt of the state pension I am also on DLA indefinitely but to receive the warm home payment I need to have pension credit I do not have pension credit because I have a carer who helps me wash cleans and cooks for me they receive carers allowance for doing this if someone receives carers allowance for me I am not entitled to pension credit Therefore apparently I now can no longer get the warm home discount I now have less money than in previous years the person who cares for me receives a small payment for their help they give to me they’re not going to help me pay the winter bills for heating this seems unfair and ridiculous I believe that I cannot be the only pensioner who is registered disabled and has help in the situation makes no sense at all yours sincerely I’m confused Yvonne

Hey @Yvonne2

So to be part of the core group to receive the warm home discount, you have to receive the guaranteed element of pension credit from the DWP.

But if you don’t receive this you can apply as part of the broader group- we’ve listed our criteria for those applications here. If you fall into the broader group category, you need to apply each year.

DLA forms part of the broader group as additional eligibility criteria, so if you receive any of the low income benefits listed in the link above as well you can apply through your Bulb Account.

Let us know if you need any more help :blush:

– H :bulb:

Now you see that’s were the problem is I get state pension and DLA but I do not get the pension credit element added to the pension as someone claims carers allowance to help me I am I do not get any other benefits I am so it seems to be an odd that if you Receive The pension credit payment therefore having more money you Qualify for the warm home discount are but if you don’t get the pension credit and you have less money but are still disabled you don’t qualify and can you understand my point

Hi @Yvonne2

If you don’t receive the guaranteed element of pension credit you can still apply as part of the broader group. The link that Holly posted above will take you to that eligibility for the application and you can apply there too.

Please do let us know if you need help with the application and we can go through it with you.

– Robyn :bulb:

Yes I am so confused by the link I would like some help please

No worries @Yvonne2 :grinning:

I’ve just sent you an email outlining the additional benefits you must receive in order to be eligible. If you receive one of these low income benefits, you can apply via the link above.

We can move over to email if you wish :slightly_smiling_face:


– Robyn :bulb:


I have just applied online for WHD as we receive Child Tax Credit. The online form prompts me to send a document proving I am responsible for a child, and a document proving I receive the tax credits. I did this and sent off the application. However I now see that you also need a document showing my child is enrolled in a full time education course, but this was not prompted during the application process.

Please tell me how I can send this document to you as I am now unable to make a further online application.


First time user so apologies if this has been raised previously. I am applying for the above for the second year running as was awarded the payment last year. On applying again, I am struggling to fund what information will be sufficient in relation to the PIP award aspect as I seem to have misplaced documentation relating to this award and I have received no reply email from Bulb with my query. I do not want to miss out on any payment due to delays in having to request new documentation from DWP so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to apply for the WHD and I am confused by the options given.
I can fill in the application with no worries up to and including the page asking which benefits I am receiving (which is Income Related ESA and means I am eligible for the WHD) but the options on the next page have NO relevance to this benefit whatsoever and so I am very confused on how to proceed.
So could someone please advise me ASAP on which option I need to choose so that I can complete the process.
I know I had a similar problem with this last year but at least IR ESA was covered in the options.
Pease advise me soon so that I don’t miss out on this payment.
Kindest regards,

You look down the list on the last page at the bottom you on the computer application form and
clicked on " non of these " . Then it comes up that you are not entitled to the W.H.D . You have to click on the" disability enhancement " choice and not " non of these " . First you must check that you get extra DISABILITY INCOME GUARANTEE on your e.s.a paper work (page No2 of3 ) . This extra payment allows you to apply because it’s extra disability payment added to your e.s.a benefit . If you don’t get this extra payment then you can not get the extra help W.H.D . The rules changed regarding e.s.a and W.H.D . I had the disability income guarantee on my e.s.a paperwork so I knew I could apply for the W.H.D . Hope this helps you out .


Thank you @Plugsocket123 :clap: I do get the Disability Income Guarantee with my ESA so YAY :grin:!! I think the application for the WHD gets more and more confusing every year with trying to figure out what is what with the application :confused: I did initially try the ‘none of these’ selection and then tried again when (like you said) it told me I wasn’t entitled to it.
For me the DIG information was detailed on page 3 (of 3) of my paperwork and I was approved last year for the WHD (and my benefits are still the same) so I knew I was entitled to it.
Your help and reassurance was very helpful and welcome and settled my brain from going into overthinking this!
You’re a :star2: x x x x :sparkling_heart: :sparkling_heart: :sparkling_heart: :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

I hope you get the extra support . I know it’s difficult to live on a very low income at times . I’m glad you manage to successfully apply . The rules change every year making it difficult to work through the forms in the hope of extra help . It can be very confusing but , always triple check your choices before deciding what is the best options . Well done .:+1:

I attempted to claim the Warm Home Allowance when I was emailed applications were open, previously having signed up to notification warning some time earlier. That was, quite literally, when applications opened. I wasn’t able to pass the qualification test because although I passed the ESA support group qualification in the part one, I couldn’t find a category in part two that was applicable. I have since signed up with EDF, but going back to the Bulb qualification page, I believe I may be entitled to the WHD with a disability premium (I’m in the Support Group - Income related). I got the WHD last year, but your description of disability premium isn’t the one the ESA use, or is it? They call it the Disability Income Guarantee. Is this the same thing? If so, I believe your description is incorrect. I will stay with Bulb and cancel my move to EDF, subject to being recognised as someone who applied only minutes after applications opened. Can you confirm your description. Is Disability Premium (your descriptor) what the ESA call Disability Income Guarantee?

There’s another thread titled “Warm Home Discount Application - Need help please!” that discusses this very question, and it looks like the answer is yes. But I don’t work for Bulb, so this post is not definitive (I expect a Bulb staffer will pick this up on Monday & may move your post into that thread).

Thanks. Bulb really need to use the ESA descriptor or many people are going to be denied the discount.

@devonjem :wave: Thanks for getting in touch about this- the evidence you’ve submitted for now will be ok, we’ll reach out to you if we need anything else from you for the application :relaxed:

@wllreid1 - there’ll be time for you to get those documents and submit them to us so no need to panic just yet! Do you receive anything else in the meantime that you could use? If not, please do get in touch with them to chase up the docs, they should be able to get back to you and let us know how it goes :blush:

@decembersangel - Hi there, I can see that the application form has been submitted. We don’t need you to do anything else, we’ll get in touch with you if we require more information during the audit cycle :relaxed:

@Plugsocket123 thank you for your help and advice on that one! :hugs:

@west375 - The disability disability premium, enhanced disability premium or severe disability premium includes but isn’t limited to Disability Living Allowance, Personal Independence Payment and Attendance Allowance. You can upload your disability criteria documents and if we require further ones we’ll contact you at audit. Let me know if you need further clarity on it :slight_smile:

If you are switching away from us and are part of the broader group and not the core group, you would need to apply with EDF. I recommend getting in touch with them to make sure you can submit an application with them if you decide to continue your switch

Thanks all,

– H :bulb:

I am struggling to access the link first place: I click it and it keeps redirecting me to the page where I can access the community; that’s all. How can I resolve this?

Hi, I’ve been with Bulb since 2018 and, have been receiving WHD all those years as my husband get pension credit. Am i correct in thinking it will be added to my Bulb account as usual. Thank you in anticipation…:slightly_smiling_face:

I’m going ahead with the move because it looks like Bulb is going bust. I’ve applied for their WHD which was very straightforward, unlike Bulb’s ridiculous process.