Warm Home Discount Scheme

Hi, I have a relative who is interested in joining Bulb. At present she benefits from the Warm Home Discount Scheme from her current supplier (Scottish Power). I understand that you are hoping to introduce the Scheme in time for next Winter. However, I just wanted to check whether you are in a position to guarantee that the Scheme will indeed be in place by then. I wouldn’t want her to move only to find that she loses out on the discount. Can you advise please?

Hello AnthonyO,
To be honest, I personally don,t think that Bulb will be offering the WHD until 2019.
Best to tell your relatives to stay where they are & only make the change after Bulb have officially started to offer the WHD.

@AnthonyO, @volvo, Bulb have previously advised that it will be available for winter this year and that they have someone working specifically on its implementation.

As they reached 250k customers before the 31st December last year, they became a compulsory supplier for 2018.
As it was so close to the line, there’s possibly a bit of leway on this, but as I understand it they are technically obligated to provide the discount this year.

There was another discussion about this here.

Thanks @volvo and @mowcius for your differing thoughts.

Any chance of a response from a Bulb employee?
After all, it only seems fair that any prospective new customers should be made fully aware of Bulb’s official position on this one.
I’m sure it would significantly influence the likelihood of many potential customers joining you.

Ahh, @AnthonyO, I just realised that I didn’t link you to the correct thread.

This was the thread I was looking for.

@mowcius and @AnthonyO

We will be a compulsory participant in the scheme from next winter (18/19), but are not part of the scheme for this winter (17/18).

We’re going to updating the help page shortly to reflect the fact that we will definitely be included in the scheme next year.

@mowcius and @AnthonyO

We will be a compulsory participant in the scheme from next winter (18/19), but are not part of the scheme for this winter (17/18).

We’re going to updating the help page shortly to reflect the fact that we will definitely be included in the scheme next year.

The problem with that is the qualifying date for the Core group for the current period is in or around the month of June. Therefore if Bulb’s participation starts after that then Warm Home Discount for the core group will be for the 2019/20 scheme.

WHD is what I’m waiting for but I’m in the core group so I’ll be better off staying with my current energy supplier until next year.