Warm Home Discount

Does Bulb offer the full conditions for the warm home discount (as shown on government sites), or has it set its own conditions for applications.

Anyone?

Anyone?

You do realise that nominally the only people on the forum (which is an open forum) on the weekends are customers of Bulb hence why possibly you will not get a responses from the Bulb team until their working hours on Monday? For information Warm Home Discount check out https://bulb.co.uk/warm-home-discount/

Thanks for the reply. I’ve read the Blub information regarding the discount and the conditions differ from UK.GOV stipulations. In particular, there is no mention of applications being accepted where an individuals utility spend equates to 10% (or more) of their annual income. I’ve spoken to Bulb regarding this and they promised to reply via email. That was 7 days ago. Hence I’m here.

@west375 sorry for the late response. The way fuel poverty is defined is 10% of income to be spent on energy - any proposals we make to OFGEM regarding our Warm Home Discount scheme would have to hit that criteria.

If you are spending more than 10%, then you should also be eligible for other schemes without just relying on WHD. I’ll get one of our team that’s more knowledgeable on this to send you an email in case you have any more questions.

Hi there, @west375- At the moment, we’re using just the compulsory Broader Group criteria- which can be found here: (https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/system/files/docs/2018/06/warm_home_discount_whd_guidance_for_suppliers_draft_version_6_0.pdf)
We’re not going to be accepting applications from people whose utility spend equates to 10% of their annual income. I hope this clears things up for you :slight_smile:

It does, happy face aside. I’ve just joined Bulb and I’ll be leaving them very shortly.

Seán

Hi, @west375 Sorry again to hear we haven’t got back to you about this. Currently, you’ll see on our website the mandatory eligibility criteria. These have been taken from OFGEM’s guidance to suppliers if you want to take a look, this is the latest draft guidance for the upcoming winter. PG 29/30/31. https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/system/files/docs/2018/06/warm_home_discount_whd_guidance_for_suppliers_draft_version_6_0.pdf

If we wanted to extend the eligibility criteria for the WHD, fuel poverty is one of the key criteria that OFGEM would review this request against. Also, in England, fuel poverty is no longer based simply on spending 10% or more of your income on your energy bills and is now measured using a Low Income High-Cost indicator.

Hope this helps please let me know if you have any other questions.

Can you tell me what a ‘Low Income High-Cost Indicator’ is? What are the new criteria? How will it work?

Hi @west375 We don’t expect there to be any changes to the Warm Home discount criteria as shown on our website, so if you meet this criteria you will be eligible https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115001245512-Can-I-get-the-Warm-Home-Discount-

The way Fuel poverty is assessed is separate to the WHD eligibility criteria, you still need to meet the mandatory OFGEM criteria to receive the Warm home discount even if you may be in fuel poverty according to this indicator.

Under the LIHC indicator, a household is considered to be fuel poor if:
• they have required fuel costs that are above average (the national median level).
• were they to spend that amount, they would be left with a residual income below the
official poverty line.

Ok. I’ll keep an eye on any developments in the next few months. Doesn’t sound good, but things may change, develop - you never know.

Seán

Hi @west375 I’ve had a little look around and I can see some other suppliers have extended their criteria beyond just the mandatory groups and from the sounds of things you would be eligible with them. We wouldn’t want you to miss out, so it may be worth having a look around at different suppliers criteria. We would be sorry to see you go, but understand that this can make a big difference.

As we are in our first year of the scheme we’re aiming to keep it simple this year to get everything up and running and test the waters, in the future we will be looking at how we can better identify those members that need it most.

Good call - hope you can extend the WHD criteria down the line.

Seán