Warm Homes Discount

Hi, I am currently with British Gas and receive Warm Homes Discount. My fixed price contract is coming to an end and my electricity cost will go up by about 40%. I am thinking of changing provider, maybe to Bulb. On the Bulb website it says that I could get Warm Homes Discount from Bulb, but would have to be a Bulb customer on 7th July 2019. On that day I was still a British Gas customer. Does that mean I cannot receive Warm Homes Discount if I change suppliers in August?
Thanks. Michael

Hi Michael, thanks for messaging in =)

The reason it says that is because whoever your supplier was on the 8th of July 2019 is responsible for supplying your Warm Home Discount for the Winter of 2019. So if you switch supplier now, British Gas will still need to provide you with your Warm Home Discount for this year.

Bulb also offer the Warm Home Discount. There are two different groups that receive this payment. To learn about the two groups, check out the info in this article:

I hope this helps,
Ahmad

Thanks, Ahmad. I receive Pension Guarantee Credit, thus qualify for the deiscount. Following your reply I have to ask: How can British Gas apply the Warm Homes Discount if I no longer have an account with them?
Thanks. Michael

Thanks for the reply @Michael_S - all suppliers know about this ‘8th July’ rule so British Gas will be happy to pay you the Warm Home Discount for this upcoming winter.

It sounds like you’re in the ‘Core Group’ so the Department for Work and Pensions will send you a letter between October and December 2019 to let you know what you need to do to receive the credit. (If you’d like to know more, I’d advise contacting British Gas directly to find out about their process for crediting you).

Hope this helps! :slight_smile: