We are increasing our tariff by £2 per month

Hi guys
So here is where I’m conflicted:

1. My switch to you was for environmental, ethical and rational reasons to do with who you are, what you’re doing and how your doing it - all a big tick
  2. Openness, language and approach - 2nd big tick
  3. Price was the next consideration, and to a certain extent whilst it is marginal (to my income) +/- c£100, I won’t look at comparable alternatives. Her I suspect it’s now more of a x than a tick.
  4. I see that the night tariff for me has increased c15%. That’s when I charge my car, and that becomes hard to swallow. Why is it necessary to impose such a large increase on that tariff, which in my view penalises not only people like me with car chargers, but others, who have made (and conciously) planned decisions to buy equipment which they can run during ‘off-peak’ when there’s little demand on the grid. It seems inequitable to say the least. I’d really appreciate the reasoning behind this.

Thanks a million

PS to anyone who has ever tried to deal in any way with the shower of sh** at BG, you’re a breath of fresh air!!

Seems generally pretty fair to me, but as a single rate dual fuel customer in Yorkshire, I think my yearly increase is one of the lowest (at 2.2%).

Having just gone to uSwitch I see I can save £137 a year by moving to Ebico (this saving based on projected night time EV charging on top of existing usage)......................
An interesting looking company. Their reviews seem very mixed and they don't supply renewable energy, but I can see the draw of a potential saving.

Lies, damn lies and statistics. Just joined and now not impressed with a 1.5p increase on the 6.72p night time current rate - that is a 22% increase and we use approx 80% of our energy on the night tarrif. 2.8% is just a load of b… and a completely unfair penal move. Back to the drawing board I guess.

@Kernow, the 2.8% is obviously an average but I doubt they’ve just made that figure up. Statistics rarely lie.

As always though, you can move away from Bulb with no exit fees if you feel that you’d be better off with another supplier. You have 60 days until the price increases come into effect, and it only takes 21 days to switch suppliers.

No one likes a price rise but the new rate is still the cheapest in my area on my usage. Plus we won’t see the rise until after the worst of the Winter. I will say that the PDF communication was very clear however the 2.8% quoted in the e-mail might not mean much to many users.

I guess after a increase is when a variable tariff is the toughest sell, but so long as it’s kept this competitive, it’s preferable to me than switching between fixed rates all the time to avoid penal standard rates. I hope Bulb sticks to it’s guns on having one simple and low priced tariff.

I hope Bulb sticks to it's guns on having one simple and low priced tariff.

Amen to that. It was a major selling point for me.

I hope Bulb sticks to it's guns on having one simple and low priced tariff.

Amen to that. It was a major selling point for me.

:+1:

Just received the Price increase e-mail…and I would like to highlight the "Government Policy Cost impact to my annual bill of £63 which I understand is made up of Various Alternative Energy Subsidies and Smart Meter Roll-Outs which by the way we are told are at “No extra cost” to us.So here is my point…why am I being charged £63 per year for things that I would prefer not having anything to do with I have absolutey no interest in “alternative green energy” and I will not be accepting a “smart meter” when offered one…So why am I being forced to pay £63.00 per year??and yes I will be writing to claire.perry.mp@parliament.uk and asking her the very same question.

Thank you for the questions about the night rate increasing more than the day or single-register rates. I manage electricity procurement at Bulb, so I’ll jump in on this thread to give some explanation.

The biggest reason for the higher increase in night rates than day or single-register rates is that distribution costs have increased substantially for off-peak electricity. Peak electricity distribution costs have not increased. Distribution costs are what we pay distributors like UK Power Networks and Western Power Distribution for building and maintaining the infrastructure that carries the electricity from power plants.

Since April 2017:

• Off-peak distribution costs have gone up by average 0.7p per kWh. This sounds small, but it’s roughly 10% of our off-peak rates.
  • Peak distribution costs have gone down by an average 0.1p per kWh.

These averages obscure large differences between regions. The off-peak distribution costs have gone up by more than 1p per kWh in some regions, and this has caused us to raise night rates by around 20% in certain parts of the country (but by much less in others). Because of this, some regions are seeing much larger increases in their off-peak tariff than others.

The bottom line is that our commitment to making our pricing cost-reflective means a bigger increase for off-peak rates than for peak rates and single-register rates. That said, we do appreciate that this is frustrating for our members on Economy 7 tariffs, especially those who have made lifestyle changes and major investments in response to low off-peak prices.

@andrew1944 it was our billing software that slowed things down rather than our email service provider. We are certainly looking into better communications solutions, though. Thank you for the kind words about the email itself. :slight_smile:

@linesrg you’re an absolute asset to the Community and a star Bulb member. We will be really upset if you leave us, but we do understand.

@Kernow and @mowcius and @AlanD and @Chris2 – here is a table showing the price increase for each ‘typical’ home in each region. We got 2.8% by averaging the 14 regions’ typical dual fuel household. (Usage stats from Ofgem here. I can share the underlying spreadsheet if helpful.)

@AlanD in hindsight, we realise the ‘2.8%’ figure in the email should have been personalised for each user. Without the personalisation, one could argue that it is confusing. The lack of personalisation of that figure is certainly a lesson learned.

@AM55 the benefits from upgrading the grid and supporting a transition to a low-carbon economy accrue to everyone, so it makes sense to us that everyone should help pay for them. We view them as crucial down payments on a sustainable, healthy, and wealthy country and world.

We also believe that smart meters are an important part of a low-carbon economy because they help homes be hubs within the energy system. They help households flex up their consumption when renewable energy is abundant and flex it down when it’s scarce. They help them manage storage nimbly. And, they help them make the best use of home energy generation from solar panels.

As a newcomer this month I’m disappointed in the price rise but I guess it was just bad timing on my part!
I am more disappointed that you have increased the price of gas by over 7% but have not made this clear anywhere, instead using generalised %ages for a typical household. I think you should be more up-front about such increases; it smacks of trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes. I’m not impressed.

Hi, thanks Selina for the explanation of the large night tariff increases. However, these seem arbitrary and way out of kilter with any normal CPI increases - are they allowed to do this, and do you have a choice of a provider or do they have a monopoly in their particular region? Are these huge price rises on Ofgem’s radar?

@“Andrew at Bulb” You reduced the cost of the tariff in (I think?) August, and it seems to me that even with the rise it’s still cheaper than it was before then (though I might be wrong!)

From my point of view you guys are trying and succeeding to do something different and you still have my support for that.

@Alan_Reading point taken. We always aim to balance presenting information simply with presenting information thoroughly. Normally suppliers and Ofgem present price changes by explaining the % effect for a ‘typical household’ (one that uses 12000 kWh of gas and 3100 kWh of electricity), so we follow that format too. However, I see what you mean about the importance of segmenting out the tariff into its component rates.

@Adrian_O@selina and I are looking into that question for you. Stay posted.

@matthew744 over the past year, we’ve reduced the tariff twice and now raised it once, and yes, the price decreases actually outweigh this price increase. Thank you for your support – it means a lot to us.

Strange,how when the oil price drops to rock bottom that gas prices don’t! Yet we are told that gas and oil are linked,so any oil scares the gas price shoots up,but when it drops gas doesn’t move! Bulb quote again about the gas explosion in Austria ,yet we don’t get our gas from there! Europe is supplied from Russia and Azerbaijan!!! We get most of our gas from the north sea,Morecambe bay ,southern north sea and mostly from Norway which has a surplus from …the north sea due to them only having a small population and sell us their surplus gas! Next scare from bulb was the forties oil pipeline which had cracks in it! So,how does that affect us again? That pipeline only had "oil"in it and gas is sent separately via st.fergus!I worked on the forties and I can assure you gas and oil are not sent in the same pipeline!!!So where does this bring us to? It ends up with greedy companies trying to hoodwink customers with scare tactics!!!Get my drift???

@AM55 As a part of the various governments commitments to the likes of Tokyo and Paris agreements we all have to do something to try and head off any man-made contributions to climate change. None of us can distance ourselves from doing our part, it isn’t somebody else’s responsibility.

As I have posted here and elsewhere on other forums I have been fortunate enough to be in a position to take advantage of several schemes. I had Solar PV (self) installed in 2008 with a FIT addition in 2009 so am benefitting from the maximum FIT pay out, this payment was a major factor in my going this route. The demand from schemes like this and the one in Germany contributed to larger scale production of both solar panels and inverters. Everybody goes on about how much cheaper panels are now but inverters have also halved in price. My 4kW is doing its bit to reduce our impact on the planet (I’m trying to add a subsidy free 1.675kW to this currently which will be take some time to get my money back on - in fairness it could be argued I’m re-investing the FIT subsidy???).

Fitting a GSHP in Dec 2016 (along with Solar ET panels) was again driven by the availability of interest free loans and RHI payments which will pay me more than it cost to install the system (ultimately). The combination of having dumped our LPG condensing boiler and using a device with a minimum CoP of 3 has gone a long way to reducing our emissions and overall consumption of energy. (As a side note I notice recent articles pointing out that an unknown number of condensing boilers are not run optimally i.e. below what 57 degrees C).

Finally we should be getting our Renault Zoe in 8 weeks time. The purchase decision was significantly influenced by the government £4500 ‘incentive’ and also the large seller ‘discount’. I know down to the last penny precisely what our 2004 plate Golf costs us to run including everything from depreciation, servicing, tyres, insurance etc. and buying the Zoe made sound economic sense and is a further step we’re making to reduce our impact on the planet.

As I say we all need to do our bit, it is already arguably too late and none us can be burying our heads, ostrich like, in the hope somebody else will do it for us.

As somebody said, there isn’t an Option B.

Regards

Richard

Still doesn’t add up after your explanation. What proportion of your dual fuel customers are on 2-rate electric?

According to daily mail yesterday eon are cheap! When I signed up to bulb last august they were £6-00 a year cheaper than eon but throw the £50-00 sign up and it’s £56-00! But bear in mind that bulb have no meter readers ,no paper bills and loads of telephone ops answering queries! now eon are cheaper than bulb so how does that equate? Why can’t bulb beat their prices?Bulb are playing a dangerous game and will end up by losing customers like b.gas!!! Take a note of talk talk and don’t be greedy,they beat bt sky and virgin hands down!

According to daily mail yesterday eon are cheap! When I signed up to bulb last august they were £6-00 a year cheaper than eon but throw the £50-00 sign up and it's £56-00! But bear in mind that bulb have no meter readers ,no paper bills and loads of telephone ops answering queries! now eon are cheaper than bulb so how does that equate? Why can't bulb beat their prices?Bulb are playing a dangerous game and will end up by losing customers like b.gas!!!!!! Take a note of talk talk and don't be greedy,they beat bt sky and virgin hands down!
Bulb do pay another company to read meters, and I'd like to see figures that say that Eon's cheaper (or will be in a few months when they also put their prices up astronomically). You also get £50 with Bulb when referring or being referred.

TalkTalk is a terrible comparison though as they’re (like Eon), a pretty terrible company. Have you ever tried to contact them for support?
Bulb are more like Plusnet in your comparison. Not always the cheapest but very close, and a nice company to be supplied by.
Virgin also can’t really be included either as they run on completely different network infrastructure and are far a far better price than almost anyone else for anything over 80Mbps (although their yearly price increases that you have to ring up and complain about to get a reduction are bordering on criminal).

Bulb have said before they’re not striving to be the cheapest. They’re striving to be open and honest with good customer service and 100% green electricity.
I doubt they’ll lose many customers over a necessary price increase.