We’re trialling Google Nest smart thermostats to help our members save

In our latest blog post we announced our new trial to help some members reduce their bills and carbon emissions.

We’ll install free smart thermostats for 2,000 members who live in the West Midlands. We’ll contact all members who are eligible. If it’s successful, we’re hoping to install 30,000 in homes all around the UK.

The Google Nest Thermostat E is designed with proven energy-saving features. There’s nothing to programme – it’s all set with a simple schedule that’s easy to adjust. And it’s easy to control by changing the temperature with the Nest app.

To get to net zero we’ll need to change the way we heat our homes. We provide our members with 100% renewable electricity and 100% carbon neutral gas. And we’re building smart technology, like products to make charging an electric car simple, or better home battery technology. We don’t think anyone should be left behind in the race to net zero, so we’re trialling installing smart thermostats for free.

This is hopefully an exciting step in allowing members to have more control and understanding about their energy usage, and we’ll keep you updated on the trial.

In the past we’ve mentioned how effective smart technology is in reducing bills and carbon emissions but want to build on this discussion in shaping future trials.
How has your energy usage been affected by smart energy management? E.g. In Home Displays, data on the Bulb app, or in other smart energy management systems.

How does tracking the carbon you’ve saved compare to the incentive to save money? Let us know below and we’ll build the feedback into future trials.
:deciduous_tree: :hugs:

2 Likes

I would love to be on the list for future trials.

Hi @paul_w,

There’s no waiting list for future trials, but we will be in contact automatically if you’re eligible so keep an eye out for announcements via email!

Let me know if you have any more questions about the trial.

Freya @ Bulb

That’s highly commendable. What about those of us who already have one - will you be giving a discount instead?

Surely you jest? or are you

This is interesting. I hope this comes to my area soon!

Hi @Fabulosa :wave:

We wouldn’t be offering any pay backs on products already bought as this is a new scheme that we are trialling with a small group of eligible members.

How are you finding the Google Nest? I would be interested to know if it has been helpful with energy-saving :raised_hands:

Drayton Wiser system is simpler and cheaper and probably will need no changes to you existing system. You just remove the old controller and replace it with the wiser one. If you have an existing room thermostat you can either remove it or just set it to maximum. as the wiser wireless room thermostat replaces it. You can also fit wireless thermostats to the radiators. You need a Smart Phone to set it all up

Hey @Ken2,

Its great to hear about your positive experience with another Smart product! We have this opportunity with Google Nest right now, but it doesn’t mean there isn’t room for other initiatives in the future. I’ll pass on your feedback about Drayton Wiser to the right people and see what they think. :eyes:

Georgie :bulb:

Hi, Great to hear you’re trialling this as I’ve been looking at getting a Google Nest myself! How long will the trial go on for and when will other members outside of the West Midlands be offered one?
thanks

Tom

Hi @Tomrook,

Welcome to Bulb’s community! :raised_hands:

The trail is currently only available for West Midlands members but if it’s successful, we’ll be rolling out this service for 30,000 of our members. We’ll be in touch automatically if your property is eligible. :grin:

Let us know if you have any more questions!

Thanks,
Freya :bulb:

1 Like

I wonder if this will work as well as the smartthings failure.

What sort of properties do you look at for installation? is there a certain type which you prefer?

1 Like

Hi @izzyhunt :wave:

There isn’t a certain type of property, but I understand the Google Nest Thermostat would only work with wet heating systems.

Currently in the West Midlands trial, we’re looking at households that are eligible for the government’s Energy Company Obligation (ECO) scheme. We help fund energy saving improvement projects in the homes of members in low-income households, as well as those who might find themselves in a vulnerable situation. The trial will allow us to gauge if this can help our members save money.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Cara :bulb: