Website Cookies?

Now I hate the website pop-up messages as much as the next guy but shouldn’t you have one to request permission to store cookies?

On a clean reload of the homepage (when not signed in), I see 20 cookies (for bulb.co.uk or .bulb.co.uk) being stored including 2 expiring that session and 11 expiring in 2018 or later.

@mowcius Here are some words from our privacy policy https://bulb.co.uk/privacy:

We use both cookies and / or tracking tags to understand how people use our websites and to help us to make your experience of our websites better. Some of them are essential for our websites to work properly. Here are some of the ways in which we may use cookies and tags:

For measuring web traffic through Google Analytics and similar programs. These programs use uses cookies to help us find out how many people visit our websites, which pages and parts are most popular, how long people spend in each area and what information people are searching for. We use this information to improve our website experience for our members.
To allow our members and employees to log into our websites. Our members and employees can log into all our websites and so we use cookies to track that they are logged in and what areas of the sites they use most.
We use short-term cookies to recognise your PC as you move around our site and that any information you have entered, for example into search boxes, is remembered the next time you visit us.
How can I manage my cookies and where can I find more information?

If you don’t want us to use cookies in your web browser, you can remove them from your computer or change your browser settings so that it either blocks cookies altogether or asks you if you’d like to accept them from some websites. Cookies are required to enable the best experience on our website and in some circumstances, you need to be aware that parts of our website may not function correctly without cookies being enabled.

Thanks @danp .

I had seen the privacy policy but does that actually comply with the legal requirements of the EU directive?

I was under the impression that all websites had to specifically ask your permission to use cookies (with very few exceptions) and that simply telling people how you use cookies and how to remove them (in a privacy policy that most users will never see) is not enough.

Hi @mowcius. We hate cookie banners too! Our understanding is that the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) allows ‘implied consent’ of cookies - so linking to a cookie policy from the homepage is considered acceptable. This is also the approach taken by companies such as Apple and O2.

Thank you for giving us this feedback though, it’s prompted us to review how easy it is to find our policy on cookie use. We’ll get to work on linking to it separately to our privacy policy. Keep the great observations coming.

Hi @“Jenny at Bulb”, thanks for the response.

I have to admit it’s always seemed a bit of a farse to me so the minimum you’re allowed to get away with sounds good to me!

On the actual cookies that you store, is there any chance of providing information on what each cookie is being used for?
On bulb.co.uk I see a number of Google analytics ones, some for Bulb itself, and some that I have no idea what they’re for.

@mowcius I won’t be able to go quite down to the exact cookie level, but we will be updating our cookie policy so that it sets out in more detail all the ways in which we use them. I’ll be sure to let you know when this is published!