We're bringing you smart meters, but not quite yet - New Blog Post

We’ll have second-generation Smart Meters (SMETS2) ready to start installing in members’ homes by the end of 2018. Exciting stuff.

These new smart meters will speak directly to us so you don’t have to manually update your meter readings. Better still, if you choose to change supplier in the future, they’ll continue to work smartly.

We’ve written an update on our blog here to explain why our smart meter roll out is delayed.

Questions on smart meters? We’re not surprised - We’ve answered some of these in the FAQs section at the bottom of the blog post. But if you don’t spot yours there, let us know in the thread here. Or if you’d just like to chat smart meters more generally, be our guest.

Oh you are a tease with your stock image (of an IHD that doesn’t actually exist…)

We’re running a pilot scheme with a few thousand installations from now until the end of November.
Who do I have to poke to ensure I can get in on this? (@"Will at Bulb"?)

Are these all the same meters, or a few different ones from different suppliers? Can you reveal which one/ones you’re testing now if they’re going out to customers?

@mowcius

If you have signed up to the trial we we get in touch as soon as we get to you in the queue :slight_smile:

We will be revealing all at a later date with regards to which types of smart meters we will be installing.

What new types of tariff are you going to offer to make a smart meter worth having?

Hi @bulb I’d like to be a part of the smart meter trial too if poss. I may have already tried to sign up to the trial list but can’t remember for certain.

One question about the tech - will the smart metering also include gas meters?

What new types of tariff are you going to offer to make a smart meter worth having?

Does this answer your question Tariff | Bulb

@mowcius

If you have signed up to the trial we we get in touch as soon as we get to you in the queue :slight_smile:

We will be revealing all at a later date with regards to which types of smart meters we will be installing.

If you want feedback, it might be more useful to get active forum members on board :wink:

What kind of representation will your economy 7 users have in the trial?

We were offered a smart meter by a previous supplier but when it came to replacing the old meter, we were told by the technician that it would not work because the signal was too weak and unreliable in our area. We do not want a smart meter anyway but would we be forced to have one if the technical difficulties are overcome?

We were offered a smart meter by a previous supplier but when it came to replacing the old meter, we were told by the technician that it would not work because the signal was too weak and unreliable in our area. We do not want a smart meter anyway but would we be forced to have one if the technical difficulties are overcome?

You can refuse to have a smart meter.

I’ve just joined Bulb. Switch taking place this month. Is it too late to get involved in the second generation smart meter trial/pilot?

You can choose not to have them. Some of the big 6 have been using rather pushy tactics to "encourage" users to get them but Bulb have stated numerous times that you're welcome to decline the offer when the rollout starts. On the signal situation, there are a number of solutions that are going to have to be employed across the country to get those in more remote areas/areas with worse mobile signal connected, but so far a lot of suppliers have not been wanting to put in the effort (and extra money) to make those edge cases work.
@mowcius If you have signed up to the trial we we get in touch as soon as we get to you in the queue :) We will be revealing all at a later date with regards to which types of smart meters we will be installing.
If you want feedback, it might be more useful to get active forum members on board ;)
I think @"DanP at Bulb" just loves to decline my requests for information. To be fair, I do keep sneaking my questions in threads he's not already in to see if I can get a different opinion from another member of the team :wink:

Previously though it has seemed like Bulb were very keen to get feedback on their ideas and developments, sharing things whenever possible, but increasingly they seem to be going for the hush hush approach, perhaps thinking that their members will prefer to receive “surprises”.
There was very little that seemed to be off limits when I asked some questions at their HQ earlier in the year, but now anything that’s not been publically announced seems to be a no-go topic.

You can refuse to have a smart meter.

PS

I should have added in my one liner above, that official OFGEM information on smart meters can be found at: https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/understand-smart-prepayment-and-other-energy-meters/smart-meters-your-rights

In particular it mentions:

Do I have to have a smart meter?

While we and the government think that all consumers will benefit from smart meters, they aren’t compulsory and you can choose not to have one.

Choosing not to have a smart meter may mean you don’t have access to all the available tariffs on the market, some of which could be cheaper.

If you don’t want to have a smart meter now, you will still be able to have one installed for free at a later date.

Morning all - Lots of discussion about this over the weekend, I’ll try to answer some of the questions you asked.

@crawford - We’re looking at this at the moment and the results and feedback from the trial will likely give us more information on how adding a Smart Meter can be worthwhile financially - One of our core principles is that we want everything to be simple though, and I can’t see us changing that any time soon.

@Frank, @Ultra_Disco_Stu_78 , @mowcius - I’ve added you all to our trial list, we’ll be in touch when we start installing and we’d love your feedback. Gas meters will be involved in the Smart trial too, @katherine244 - we’d love your feedback as well - We can amend the configuration of a SMETS2 meter to have economy 7 as well, and it is certainly something we’d be looking at for our members.

@Ginger - we certainly don’t want to install a SMART meter in your home if it wouldn’t get any signal - @mowcius is quite right that some suppliers have just tried hard to install as many meters as they can and pay little attention to if the signal will actually reach it - this causes more problems than it solves and is definitely something we don’t want happening with our member base. You can always refuse a Smart meter if you don’t want one either.

Finally, @mowcius - we know it looks like we’ve got our cards close to our chests at the minute - to be honest there are still quite a few things we’re working on before firm decisions on the IHD and meters we install are going to be, that said we do want to start making the community and forums more proactive and open, and we’ll be working to increase community engagement on this.

@“Bill at Bulb” I was wondering if I could be added to the pilot scheme?

@jdh

Please sign up to the smart meter trial here: https://docs.google.com/a/bulb.co.uk/forms/d/10kQ9xBGxZPDNPs5EWkk-8oEDNDvCj-VMWVfTNUzW5b0/edit?usp=drive_open&ths=true

@Frank, @Ultra_Disco_Stu_78 , @mowcius - I've added you all to our trial list, we'll be in touch when we start installing and we'd love your feedback. Gas meters will be involved in the Smart trial too, @katherine244 - we'd love your feedback as well - We can amend the configuration of a SMETS2 meter to have economy 7 as well, and it is certainly something we'd be looking at for our members.

@Ginger - we certainly don’t want to install a SMART meter in your home if it wouldn’t get any signal - @mowcius is quite right that some suppliers have just tried hard to install as many meters as they can and pay little attention to if the signal will actually reach it - this causes more problems than it solves and is definitely something we don’t want happening with our member base. You can always refuse a Smart meter if you don’t want one either.

Finally, @mowcius - we know it looks like we’ve got our cards close to our chests at the minute - to be honest there are still quite a few things we’re working on before firm decisions on the IHD and meters we install are going to be, that said we do want to start making the community and forums more proactive and open, and we’ll be working to increase community engagement on this.

I know you can remap them for Economy 7, but I assume that multi rate tariffs are going to be using a different code path than single rate ones, so it’s probably important to include some economy 7 users in your trial?

I have solar panels on our house with a contract to a different energy company. Will your smart meter set-up handle this. Happy to be a guinea pig if that would help.

Hi @Winslowboy, Hi

Bulb is a voluntary FIT licensee and can only provide feed-in tariff arrangements for Bulb members. Your generated electricity and imported electricity are completely separate and it’s not uncommon to have one supplier manage your generation while another manages your imported electricity.

We’re currently running a BETA test for our generating members that are keen to take part in the early development stages of our FIT program. If you’re up for helping us create the best FIT experience in the industry, follow this link to signing up- https://goo.gl/forms/Vojuhh9I3VJNLMGs1.

Someone from our FIT team will contact you to start the sign-up process.

@katherine244 - we’ll definitely be looking at Eco-7 tariffs as well, and seeing how we can interact with our Eco-7 users to encourage more usage at the lower rate.

I would love to be on the trial, and my Dad who has just joined too, Beth & Bill Waller