We're bringing you smart meters, but not quite yet - New Blog Post

Hi @Beth1972 all you need to do is sign up through this link :slight_smile: https://docs.google.com/a/bulb.co.uk/forms/d/10kQ9xBGxZPDNPs5EWkk-8oEDNDvCj-VMWVfTNUzW5b0/edit?usp=drive_open&ths=true

Hi Chris at Bulb - the FIT BETA is no longer accepting applications - at least not on the link you included in your reply to earlier post. I’ll leave changing my FIT contract to Bulb until the Smart Meter situation and tariffs are clearer, as there’s no immediate advantage to me (as far as I can see) to make the change any earlier.

Smart meters are a complete waste of money. They’ve cost the tax payer billions (around £420 per household) - which could have been given to each household to use against energy bills. Studies have shown that the novelty soon wears off - after a short time consumers don’t bother to check their gas and electricity usage and they’ve probably only shaved £10 a year off bills. They occasionally give the wrong readings and can be hacked. Sorry to hear that Bulb is going ahead with their installation - sad waste of resources, time and money.

Why are people here so desperate to get a ‘smart meter’ - some will do anything for a ‘freebie’ even if it’s totally useless.

Smart meters are a complete waste of money. They've cost the tax payer billions (around £420 per household) - which could have been given to each household to use against energy bills. Studies have shown that the novelty soon wears off - after a short time consumers don't bother to check their gas and electricity usage and they've probably only shaved £10 a year off bills. They occasionally give the wrong readings and can be hacked. Sorry to hear that Bulb is going ahead with their installation - sad waste of resources, time and money.

I most certainly I don’t want a smart meter, but Bulb have a contact customers regarding an offer to install a smart meter as explained by OFGEM at: https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/understand-smart-prepayment-and-other-energy-meters/smart-meters-your-rights

I have to say I’ve lost all interest in having a smart meter installed, although I had expressed a slight interest in a trial. Until there is generally reliable technology availablr to bill each month’s usage and collect payment month by month, then I shan’t be willing again.

Hi Guys, during our recent trials with smart meters, we have found our members have been able to save significant money, at odds with some other studies. For many people who are unable or unwilling to send in readings every month, they will allow us to provide them with an accurate bill, and as it allows us to much more accurately predict their bills

I don’t think you answered the question about the compatibility of Smart Meters with Solar Panels and Micro CHP (both of which I have). You started talking about FiT instead, which I would also be interested in switching to Bulb, as long as your payment periods are short.

Will your smart meter allow customers to access there data in an open format (like an API or similar)? I’d like to be able to pull energy usage stats into other smart home software.

Hi @Pottager, your smart meter will just record import usage so it should be separate from the Solar and Micro CHP. As for FiT, we’re more than happy to have you switch to us being the FiT provider. Our payments are made quarterly based upon readings.

@StewartP That’s a great idea, although the initial stages would not have an API functionality to access data remotely. Although, at any point, if you did want your usage data, we can provide it to you. We’re always looking to make things better so hopefully, we’ll reach that soon.

As for FiT, we're more than happy to have you switch to us being the FiT provider. Our payments are made quarterly based upon readings.
Hi Chris, I understand that, but how long do you take to pay after a reading is submitted? My current provider takes 2-3 weeks, which is bearable but not great. Now, just got to find those MCS certificates ...
Hi Guys, during our recent trials with smart meters, we have found our members have been able to save significant money, at odds with some other studies.

I am always at odds with statements like this as it gives the impression simply by installing a smart meter IT will save you money, at best it will increase awareness of usage which to me could have been done without a smart meter.
I accept the appeal for some that it saves them manually submitting readings but that is as far as it goes.

Just my view and I know we have differing opinions on this.

@scudo

Of course it will save you money :’( ,

According to the article below it will save customers a grand total of £11 per year.

@scudo @Allanr You’re right that a lot of the saving comes from increased awareness which can be negligible for people that already keep an eye on what they use. The £11 a year figure is a little misleading in my opinion though. For example, just having a little in-home display is not particularly good at changing people’s usage behaviours. Smart meters enable more creative opportunities however, such as push-notifications when usage increases and more creative off-peak tariffs. In our testing so far members were able to save far more than this.

@Pottager We’re actually still settling on our lead-time to payment for FIT at the moment. Currently, we’re conservatively saying 2 weeks but are aiming for it to be faster than this.

@StewartP That's a great idea, although the initial stages would not have an API functionality to access data remotely. Although, at any point, if you did want your usage data, we can provide it to you. We're always looking to make things better so hopefully, we'll reach that soon.

Thanks Chris - I know that the current smart meters I have with e.on communicates with the display using the Zigbee smart home protocol (which is an open source protocol, btw), but they’ve nobbled it so you can’t pick that data up using other devices, which is a shame. Do you have any details around the protocol your smart meters/displays use, and whether or not it’s open? If you don’t have an API in the initial stages of rollout, this may be another way around it…

I know that other countries have made it mandatory to enable this functionality, so it is there, but possibly just not enabled by most of the energy companies…

I have just switched to Bulb but on prepay beta. Will I be able to avail smart meter (assuming I finally get the consent from landlord)?

@juyipey Yeah :slight_smile:

I know that the current smart meters I have with e.on communicates with the display using the Zigbee smart home protocol (which is an open source protocol, btw), but they've nobbled it so you can't pick that data up using other devices, which is a shame. Do you have any details around the protocol your smart meters/displays use, and whether or not it's open? If you don't have an API in the initial stages of rollout, this may be another way around it..

I know that other countries have made it mandatory to enable this functionality, so it is there, but possibly just not enabled by most of the energy companies…

If Bulb are considering rolling out meters that are not fully SMETS2 compatible, complete with >=Zigbee SE1.2 or better, I’m going to be pretty disappointed.
Some of the largest advantages of smart meters will likely come from providing data to the customer locally, and allowing them to integrate that with whatever they please (automatically turning devices on and off based on usage for example, or potentially the current tariff, in the future).

Hi Guys, during our recent trials with smart meters, we have found our members have been able to save significant money, at odds with some other studies. For many people who are unable or unwilling to send in readings every month, they will allow us to provide them with an accurate bill, and as it allows us to much more accurately predict their bills
Again, my earlier question was regarding which ones have been tested with members, but for some reason nobody seems to want to say. Is there a specific reason for this as it doesn't sound like they're just being tested in-house any more.

Knowing the device specifics would clear up a lot of people’s questions, even if it’s details on a few different meters and IHDs.

I will be happy to have smart readings taken each month (once the 2nd generation meters get going) but the idea of readings every 30 min or daily appalls me — you may not sell or share my data (I trust your word on this), but nobody is totally immune to hackers — my monthly data reveal little, but more frequent data could, for instance, show when my house is empty — not information I want sitting on anybody’s server.