What do I do if I have a fault or emergency?

If you think you have a gas leak, make yourself safe, turn off your gas at the meter if possible, and then call the National Gas Service Emergency Line on 0800 111 999.

If you have a powercut, call 105 to be put you through to your local power distributor. They look after the wires connecting you to the grid and will get it fixed asap.

Gas Leak:

Can you smell gas or do you think there’s a gas leak? The first thing to do is to make sure that you stay safe, so please:

• Don't smoke
  • Don't light matches or cigarette lighters
  • Don't turn light switches or anything electrical on or off, including using mobile phones
  • Put out any naked flames such as candles
  • Open all the doors and windows
  • Turn off your gas supply at the meter (and leave it switched off until you're sure it's safe to turn it back on again)
Then, call the National Gas Service Emergency Line on 0800 111 999 to report a suspected gas leak. They'll sort out the problem and tell you what to do to stay safe.

Gas Isn't Working:

If none of your gas appliances are working then you should still call the National Gas Service Emergency Line on 0800 111 999. They’ll walk you through the next steps and are responsible for fixing it.

Electricity Emergency:

If you have a powercut or see damaged power lines then contact your local network operator. You can get through to them by calling 105 from anywhere in the country.

Head to www.powercut105.com for more info and to find out who your local network operator is.

Electricity Isn't Working:

If your electricity goes off, but you’re not sure if it’s a powercut in your area there are a few steps you can take to see if it’s a power cut or a fault in your home. The easiest way to do this is to see if your neighbours still have electricity and to check your fuse box to make sure the master switch is on.

If your neighbours have power, then it could be a fault in your home. Your trip switch may have turned itself off. If it has, try turning it back on. If it switches off again then one of your electrical appliances may be faulty. Your trip switch turns itself off to make sure you don’t get injured by a faulty appliance. Once you’ve found the faulty appliance and turned it off, your power should stay on.

Have you only lost power in parts of your home? You may have a fault with your electrical wiring somewhere, so call a qualified electrician as soon as possible.

If your neighbours don’t have power either, then it may be a power cut. Your local distributor is responsible for ensuring the reliability of supply to your property. If you need to report it, call 105 to get through to the local network operator who look after the powerlines in your area.

you might want to remind people not to use their mobile phone indoors if theres a possible gas leak, its a similar thing with petrol stations and something not everyone realises could be fatal.

Good shout. I’ve added that in.

Is there any way there could be a link to this page from the home page? It’s no fun having to do a search if you’ve got a power cut or gas leak.

It’s a good point @charlotte1, and we have it come up as one of the first things when you ring us. We, of course, want to make it as easy as possible to find the info when you have trouble. Maybe putting the power cut number , 105, on our Help page would be a great start.

Well I have just rang the gas emergency line, apparently since the meter is a smart one and nothing at all displayed my supplier has to rectify. I have a 10 month old baby and you don’t open til 9am Monday. This can’t be right. If there is something you are responsible for you can’t be unavailable at weekends.

@adrian00, almost all smart gas meters show nothing at all on the screen until you press a button.

From your post, it’s not clear what you’re saying the issue is.

Hi Adrian how did you resolve the issue as I have the same problem today?

@Parky, what’s your issue?

@adrian00 never actually said what his issue was aside from not being able to get in contact with Bulb on a weekend.

Hi @adrian00 - really sorry we didn’t get back to you sooner on this! I’ve just tried giving you a call so we can get the situation sorted, but I couldn’t get through and couldn’t leave a voicemail. I’ll send you an email in a moment too, but I’m not 100% sure what the problem is - do you still have gas or has it been cut off?

If you have no gas supply, the people on the gas emergency number should have been able to sort it for you. It sounds like it might just be a faulty meter with a blank screen though, in which case this wouldn’t be classed as an emergency. We can replace a faulty meter for you free of charge :slight_smile:

@Parky - looks like we get everything sorted there, but please let us know if you have any other problems in future!

@SamC at Bulb, can you confirm what happens in the case of a flat battery in a smart gas meter? Or a prepayment meter?
I know that most smart gas meters and prepayment meters have the ability to cut off a customers’ supply, so in the case of a completely flat battery/fault causing the unit to lose power, does the flow of gas continue, fail closed, or remain in the same position as before the power was lost?

In the case of prepayment meters, I presume you’re going to have weekend staff and engineers on hand from January to fulfill your legal obligations should something go wrong with one of them?

If you can’t get any electricity or gas and you think your meter’s faulty, contact your supplier. They have to come round and repair or replace it within 3 hours, or 4 hours on a weekend or bank holiday.
Are there any similar requirements in place for credit meters? I couldn't find any.

Hey @mowcius :slight_smile:

If a smart meter has a flat battery, it won’t cut off the supply, but the screen will go blank, so you won’t be able to take meter readings etc. We can replace these meters free of charge, but it’s not an emergency situation.

If a prepayment meter has a flat battery, then the supply will be cut off, and we’ll need to replace the meter and/or battery asap as an emergency job. Prepay meters should display a warning light that the battery power is low a few weeks before it actually fails, so there’s time to fix the problem before it becomes an emergency situation.

And yep, you’re absolutely right that we’ll have people available to fulfil the legal obligations you mentioned that we have for prepayment meters. We’re required to fix faulty meters causing one of our members to be off supply within 3 hours on a weekday (if we’re contacted between 8am-8pm) and within 4 hours on weekends and bank holidays (if we’re contacted between 9am-5pm), so that’s exactly what we’ll do :slight_smile:

There is a similar requirement for faulty credit meters too, but it’s a lot looser - we just have to take appropriate action within 5 working days (starting on the next working day if we receive notification of a faulty meter out of hours). Of course, we always try and get things sorted a lot faster than that, so if somebody calls in with a faulty meter, we can normally book in an engineer straight away for a suitable date. And as we get bigger, we’re getting better at this all the time!

Hope that helps,
Sam

@“SamC at Bulb”, that’s super helpful, thanks!

If a smart meter has a flat battery, it won't cut off the supply, but the screen will go blank, so you won't be able to take meter readings etc.
In this situation, what do you take the final reading from the meter with the flat battery to be? Is it considered to be the last meter reading physically measured from the meter?

Hey @mowcius :slight_smile:

Kind of - when we replace a meter, it gets sent off to a lab where they try to extract an accurate final reading. If the fault is actually with the screen (and not just a flat battery), then the meter may still be recording usage in the background.

If an accurate final reading can be extracted, we use that to bill the member. If we can’t get one, then you’re right - we use the last definite meter reading so that we’re not billing anyone for energy they might not have used :slight_smile:

Kind of - when we replace a meter, it gets sent off to a lab where they try to extract an accurate final reading. If the fault is actually with the screen (and not just a flat battery), then the meter may still be recording usage in the background.

If an accurate final reading can be extracted, we use that to bill the member. If we can’t get one, then you’re right - we use the last definite meter reading so that we’re not billing anyone for energy they might not have used :slight_smile:

Fascinating.

I’ve had the emergency people out and they said the meters faulty yet there is NO way to get hold of bulb on a Sunday?!

I’ve had the emergency people out and they said the meters faulty yet there is NO way to get hold of bulb on a Sunday?!
That is correct.

They have no legal obligation to provide weekend cover so as a young company they haven’t done so.

They soon will provide weekend and evening emergency cover for pre-pay meters and it sounds like this will extend to credit accounts as well, but sadly a little too late for your issue it seems.

@NickC I see that Frank booked you an emergency job on Monday. We appreciate that weekend and evening faulty meters are a serious problem right now. We are working on developing a solution that we hope to roll out by June.

My power went out on Friday 14th @ 6pm, I contacted Bulb, told support lines were closed, told to contact UK Power Networks. They arrived at 5am, told me the cable was burned out and I’d need an electrician. I have an electrician onsite who has replaced that faulty cable from the meter into my property but he has identified the meter is not outputting the voltage required to my fuse box so there is a fault with the meter. The only people that can fix the faulty meter are Bulb, but you can’t contact them until Monday morning. I’m without electricity, which also means no heating. It’s winter and it’s freezing. Please contact me directly as soon as possible.

My power went out on Friday 14th @ 6pm, I contacted Bulb, told support lines were closed, told to contact UK Power Networks. They arrived at 5am, told me the cable was burned out and I'd need an electrician. I have an electrician onsite who has replaced that faulty cable from the meter into my property but he has identified the meter is not outputting the voltage required to my fuse box so there is a fault with the meter. The only people that can fix the faulty meter are Bulb, but you can't contact them until Monday morning. I'm without electricity, which also means no heating. It's winter and it's freezing. Please contact me directly as soon as possible.
@Rosilyn, the vast majority of Bulb do go home over the weekend (there's no guaranteed service) so you will most likely have to wait until Monday morning. Unfortunately there's no legal requirement for a supplier to resolve meter issues out of hours.

Bulb are working towards an out of hours service (see here) but unfortunately that’s not going to help you with your current issue.