What do you do for green energy away from home?

Everyone’s had it, your out and about and your phone goes flat. So what do you do? It’s all well any good carrying a charger,but then is the energy you use green? And do you mind being stuck to a wall?

I’ve been looking at some things like this, its a powerbank so carry’s extra power you can grab from the wall at home where its green. And has a solar pannel on top to top up while your out and about.

What do you think? And have you seen and nice ones of these, or maybe some other method of getting a bit of green energy, maybe a wind farm in your pocket?

Hi @I_Am_Sy,

That is a good find you have there. It will come in handy on weekends when your out and about.

A wind farm in a pocket would be pretty impressive.

@Siobhan

Yeah I currently use a 12000MA powerbank but not had a solar one before, not sure how great they are yet, but I think a couple of years and they might be awesome.

Or they could just work out clear solar panels so they can be fitted in screens and windows haha.

And the wind farm in my pocket is probably a tin of beans lol

@I_Am_Sy
Wow a ‘clear solar panels so they can be fitted in screens and windows’. Now I would get that!!!

Yeah here’s a interesting read on the subject: http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/188667-a-fully-transparent-solar-cell-that-could-make-every-window-and-screen-a-power-source

:slight_smile:

Yeah here's a interesting read on the subject: http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/188667-a-fully-transparent-solar-cell-that-could-make-every-window-and-screen-a-power-source

:slight_smile:

Already a thing. You can get solar windows with sockets built in.
See? Geography isn’t completely useless

Yeah but when will my electric company fit them for free? Plus they need a good ampage output too.

Yeah but when will my electric company fit them for free? Plus they need a good ampage output too.

I don’t know any energy company that’ll fit anything for free other than (possibly) metres and boilers. Even if they do. Do you really think they won’t botch it?

I don’t know any energy company that’ll fit anything for free other than (possibly) metres and boilers. Even if they do. Do you really think they won’t botch it?

Nope, but still ATM these thing might exsit but I bet you can’t buy it. Or not for a arm and a leg anyway. I hope they become mainstream and cheap. And what about Bulb those people seem nice hmmmm.

Nope, but still ATM these thing might exsit but I bet you can’t buy it. Or not for a arm and a leg anyway. I hope they become mainstream and cheap. And what about Bulb those people seem nice hmmmm.

It’s still all expensive. Even having them fitted well for free without it being botched is a long shot. An energy companys business is to make money by selling gas and electricity.
And if they fit solar panels and any other renewable energy sources to your house for free that only takes money away from them.

It’s still all expensive. Even having them fitted well for free without it being botched is a long shot. An energy companys business is to make money by selling gas and electricity.
And if they fit solar panels and any other renewable energy sources to your house for free that only takes money away from them.

Well you would hope, if they can make decent efficiency panels then new builds would be likely to include them (probably under building regulations) and those would feed energy into the grid, ad more solar panels on the roof and it could result in good profits for the energy company over its lifetime with the home owner getting a free supply. Who knows what could happen but it would be futuristic and cool if the modern home had all that to go with its IoT (Internet of Things) I think at some point in the next century self sustaining existence will become a comon thing, well it has too really we are runing out of resources.

Well you would hope, if they can make decent efficiency panels then new builds would be likely to include them (probably under building regulations) and those would feed energy into the grid, ad more solar panels on the roof and it could result in good profits for the energy company over its lifetime with the home owner getting a free supply. Who knows what could happen but it would be futuristic and cool if the modern home had all that to go with its IoT (Internet of Things) I think at some point in the next century self sustaining existence will become a comon thing, well it has too really we are runing out of resources.

Once again it’s not economically viable. It’s more economically viable to set up a place for them. Think of it from a businesses POV. To maximise profits which sounds better? Spend thousands of pounds and man hours for less money from customers. Or set up a dedicated space for the solar panels, thus generating roughly the same amount is electricity and charging all the customers?

Government grants and insentives change the game though. I’m not saying this is going to happen next year or in the next 50 but at some point we are going to be limited land wise and have to use every surface area we can get our hands on to either produce energy, crops or somthing. You never know what we could end up with really, but however the future goes we will need more energy, and nuclear will be on its way out.

Government grants and insentives change the game though. I'm not saying this is going to happen next year or in the next 50 but at some point we are going to be limited land wise and have to use every surface area we can get our hands on to either produce energy, crops or somthing. You never know what we could end up with really, but however the future goes we will need more energy, and nuclear will be on its way out.

Government grants? There’s already plans to cut them grants. Which will put thousands out of work

If you use a power bar that youve charged from your home green energy then isn’t that sort of ok if you want to be covered by green energy.

I foyu use a power bar that youve charged from your home green energy then isn't that sort of ok if you want to be covered by green energy.

Yeah, that’s green in my book.

I foyu use a power bar that youve charged from your home green energy then isn't that sort of ok if you want to be covered by green energy.

Yeah, that’s green in my book.

Till it goes flat :frowning:

Just need Bulb to persuade the Wetherspoons chain of pubs to let them supply their electricity and that’d be me sorted for green electrons away from home when I plug in my laptop while I am co-working :slight_smile:

(Up north we don’t bother with fancy co-working spaces - we meet at the local Wetherspoons and drink bottomless coffee all morning for a quid while we work!)

Oh, and, bulb, can you persuade the Premier Inn and Travelodge hotel chains to get their electrons from you too please. Ta x

Haha, well we’ll do our best.