What is normal energy usage?

I have no idea and I appreciate this is a little like asking “how long is a piece of string?”

I live with 2-3 others in a modest 4 bed detached home with double glazing throughout and rather below par insulation.

Our annual energy consumption is:
Electricity - 9000 kWh
Gas - 30300 kWh.

Helpful replies appreciated.

I live on my own in a 3-bed detached - fairly good insulation and full DG - with gas CH and cooking, and average per annum:

Gas: 13822 Elec: 2163

According to British Gas, average for UK:

3-bedroom house / 2-3 people Gas: 12,000 kWh Elec: 2,900 kWh

5-bedroom house / 4-5 people Gas: 17,000 kWh Elec: 4,300 kWh

I live on my own in a 3-bed semi-detached house. DG throughout (some better than others). Cavity walls insulated. I use gas for CH (but kept fairly low, as I prefer to keep the house on the cool side) and cooking.

Annual usage gas 4000kWh, Electricity 5000kWh.

1 Like

We live in a compact 4 bedroom 1 bathroom detached house. 2 adults and 2 primary school age children.
House is double-glazed, and we have uninsulated cavity walls, loft is insulated. Gas is used for the combi boiler for central heating and hot water. Electric is used for cooking and supplementary heating. CH is on from 6:40 to 21:30 7 days a week, target 19C.
Last year we used
3,100 kWh electric
13,000 kWh gas

Getting the cavity walls insulated would save you a lot on the CH.

I had been wondering that, but you also hear some mixed reports on retrofitting cavity wall insulation… can cause damp in some cases. I shall have to do a bit of research into local contractors in East Sussex.

Well, it generally has a 25 year warranty (new houses only have 10!), so issues must be rare, or it wouldn’t be anything like as long.