What is the point of smart meters?

We see a lot in the press about smart meters, yet what do they actually do. I ask because I would have thought one of the most basic features of a smart meter is to accuratley measure energy consumption into my house, to the penny. So why is it I still need to provide meter readings, and companies including bulb bill me on estimations, not very smart is it.

We see a lot in the press about smart meters, yet what do they actually do. I ask because I would have thought one of the most basic features of a smart meter is to accuratley measure energy consumption into my house, to the penny. So why is it I still need to provide meter readings, and companies including bulb bill me on estimations, not very smart is it.

Have you not read any threads on this forum?

@Allanr haha

So why is it I still need to provide meter readings, and companies including bulb bill me on estimations

You seem to be attempting to determine “the point” from a broken system. It’s the equivalent of saying “this car has a broken engine, what’s the point of having a car?”. The reason things are how they are with your smart meter is because it’s broken, not intentional by design.

My smart meters, the electric uses Kw/hrs for the usage readings meaning all I have to do is multiply the reading by the price per Kw/h but the gas is still old school adding, multiplying and dividing to work out the Kw/hrs I then add the daily charge then divide by 100 and multiply by 5 for the VAT and that’s my monthly bill. A lot better than working out both the old school way

Haven’t all electric meters always read out in kWh?