What to do if your In-Home-Display (IHD) is not working

If you’ve had a smart meter installed, you’ll also have been offered an In-Home Display (IHD). This is a small device that connects to your smart meters wirelessly. It shows you how much energy you are using in real time, both in kWh and pounds and pence.

We started installing smart meters in January 2019. Members who signed up to the smart meter waiting list will be the first to know when a smart meter can be installed in their home.

Sometimes IHDs do not work when they are first installed. The fix is often easy. In the majority of cases, your IHD will start working 24-48 hours after installation. In other cases, you’ll need to contact Bulb.

The important thing to note is that if you in-house-display is not working:

• We can still get your smart meter readings
  • Your power will not cut out

Here’s some of the common problems and how to fix them:

The in-home-display is blank

If there is nothing showing on the screen, it’s possible that the IHD has run out of power.

To fix this, plug it back in to recharge it. Then press the round flat button on the back to restart it.

The In-Home Display can’t connect to the network in your home

Some In-Home displays will show:

• Information for one fuel only, even when you have a smart meter for both gas and electricity
  • A message that says ‘Waiting for data’
  • A message that says ‘Connection lost’

Try moving your IHD closer to your electricity smart meter. Once you’re there, turn it off using the round, flat button at the back. Wait a minute and then press the button again to switch the IHD back on. Sometimes, this gives it the boost it needs to get going again.

If after 48 hours your IHD is still showing one of these messages please let us know by filling out this quick form.

We should be able to troubleshoot your meter and get you back on track.

Occasionally circumstances beyond our control will mean that you need a second visit from the engineer. When this happens, they’ll let you know. While you wait, your IHD will not be able to show any data recorded by your smart meters.

If the IHD is only showing gas data it is usually where the IHD has a connection to the gas meter but not the electricity so it is only able to draw one set of readings.

So how does one get the IHD to connect to the electricity meter?

hi - having the same issue

Same for me. Gas only reading. The meter was installed two weeks ago. This is not good enough Bulb.

Have you tried moving your IHD closer to your smart meters? You should turn off the IHD using the round, flat button at the back. Wait a minute and then press the button again to switch the IHD back on. This can sometimes help.

If neither of these work, we’ll need to sort it from this end.

Could you send please post below the following:

• A picture of the IHD
  • Is the IHD showing electricity data or are both not appearing?
  • Did the IHD ever display meter readings?
  • If it did, how long did it show for before the error?

Installed 14th March
Has shown Gas data from that date.
Has never shown Electricity data.

I have tried turning the IHD off and back on. Turned it off, left next to the electricity meter for approx 30 mins, then turned back on and left next to meter for another 10-15 mins.

They had to re-run the sync for Electric and within 5 minutes Electric was then displayed on the IHD. I called 020 3893 2890 and they could see the issue and resolved it.

Thanks for posting the above. If it was that easy I hope they’ll be doing this for everyone with the same issue and that this is a permanent fix… I emailed the Smart Team directly yesterday for an update but no reply yet.

Out of interest, is your IHD showing the correct gas price after the price reduction on 21st March? Mine isn’t.

Out of interest, is your IHD showing the correct gas price after the price reduction on 21st March? Mine isn't.

No tariff change on SMETS1 displays either. Mine is currently showing a mix of about 3 different tariff changes, where some info has been pushed and some not.

Well well well, a quick phone call to the Bulb Smart Meter helpdesk and I am now up and running with Electric and Gas working on my IHD :-) They had to re-run the sync for Electric and within 5 minutes Electric was then displayed on the IHD. I called 020 3893 2890 and they could see the issue and resolved it.

Thanks for posting. Just called and spoke to someone called Charlie. He said he couldn’t do it, but would pass it onto someone else. Think it very much depends on who you speak to.

Well well well, a quick phone call to the Bulb Smart Meter helpdesk and I am now up and running with Electric and Gas working on my IHD :-) They had to re-run the sync for Electric and within 5 minutes Electric was then displayed on the IHD. I called 020 3893 2890 and they could see the issue and resolved it.

Lol, a working IHD was short lived, I think Gas & Elec worked correctly for about 2hrs this afternoon before it decided that it now wanted to “Wait for current data” on both Gas and Elec. Been like that for 30mins now…oh well :frowning:

My ihd wont show my electricity usage. But the gas is working. Tried turning off and back on. It was fitted at 11am today 27th March. But still not working how it should. I cant post a picture. It wont let me.

I cant post a picture. It wont let me.

Best to send the details to Bulb directly. This forum isn’t monitored by the Bulb Smart Team.

Same problem- no electricity reading. I can’t access the online form.

Hey all.

We did, for a short time, solve IHD issues over the phone. We have now stopped doing so because it is an inefficient way of solving the issue. Intstead, we’re able to resolve any problems in bulk. By categorising members who have the same issues we can solve the problems faster and help more members. This also frees time for the smart team to work on ways to prevent the IHDs not connecting in the first place.

If your IHD is not connecting 48 hours after installation, please email us on help@bulb.co.uk and we’ll be in touch when we’ve fixed it. You will receive an email.

Please include the following:

• A picture of the IHD
  • Is the IHD showing electricity data or are both not appearing?
  • Did the IHD ever display meter readings?
  • If it did, how long did it show for before the error?

@Andrew_rees85 @Aimee2 @Gavlaah @sama @Walks_With_Dogs - could either either post a picture on here with these details or email help@bulb.co.uk and we can get this fixed for you.

@foamcow - thanks for the details, I’ll raised this with the smart team.

@Eleanor at Bulb I’ve sent in another email, with the requested information. Thanks

@Eleanor at Bulb I've sent in another email, with the requested information. Thanks

Thanks @Gavlaah - I can that it’s gone straight to Matthew. I really hope we can get this fixed soon for you!

No electricity reading, instant electricity usage indicators dead. Tried it out immediately next to elec meter: no difference.

I am also suffering from the showing Gas consumption only problem. I have sent an email as requested and am waiting for a solution.

I have another issue with the IHD though. I have tried to connect the device to my WiFi network but when I start the WPS scan the WiFi indicator flashes for a brief time and then the display goes back to the setup page. Has anyone successfully connected the IHD to their home WiFi?

Connecting to my home WiFi is the one thing my IHD will do. I’m not sure if there is any point in connecting it though. I have no idea as to whether bulb can communicate with the IHD over the internet when it is connected to WiFi.

My smart meter is only showing gas consumption like everyone. I have sent an email to the support team