What's Going on with my bills?

So I get an email on the 17th of January 2021 which reads “Based on your latest meter readings and lower than estimated usage, we’ve credited £XXX.XX back into your Bulb account this month”. Today just 17 days later I get an email which reads " We’ve run the numbers and it looks like we need to increase your monthly payments from £XXX.XX to £XXX.XX . That’s an increase of £68.36 a month…!

I always try to use the app and send a meter reading on the 16th of the Month, my usage doesn’t significantly increase or decrease, it’s just my wife and I at home shielding, yes we would be out and the heating would not be on constantly but how can you give me a credit of 120% one month then increase my payments by 42% the next that simply does not make any sense.

This is all because people have been taken out of the equation and computers are left to run algorithms it’s not fair or reasonable to just keep chopping and changing my bank payments based on a computer algorithm that clearly can’t handle stability in a client. I don’t mind paying for my utilities, if I use it I pay for it but all this rubbish with predicted spend and Direct Debits is driving me insane, either upgrade your algorithm and working practices or start losing customers

5 Likes

Hi @RAS,

Welcome to Bulb community :wave:

I’ve just taken a look into your account and there are a few things I wanted to clarify. Just sending you an email now so we can discuss this better.

Best wishes,
Trevor

Ive had the same email, telling me Im hundreds in debt and payments need to go from £96.45 to £218 a month :open_mouth: even the amount on the email is different to the app :woman_shrugging:

I have had nothing but trouble with bulb, this is the last straw. They even failed us on the prority, vunerable register. I dont need the anxiety of bulb anymore, not with all this going on at the minute.

2 Likes

Mine is £321 this month! Help! :sob:
Last month was £265! I live in a 2 bed bungalow!

My bills seem to have shot up too! £218 last month and £176 this month! This time last year it was just over £100.

Is this normal??

Yes, it is normal in the topsy turvy world of bulb.
Never fear they will send you an email to “clarify” the position

1 Like

I feel your pain! Our bill for January was nearly £50 more than December. We only have 2 storage heaters in use (hall and living room) in our 2 bed flat. I’m pretty sure they were on for the same amount of time each month, and usage of other electrical items would be similar too.

with all the fine Bulb have picked up in the last 6 months I’m not at all surprised we are having nothing but troubles as customers. they will be putting up prices soon as they buy cheaper smart meters and ihd units which will no doubt have issues with them, beginning to think i too will some how not get the whd through some nonsense they will come up with

UK renewable energy firm Bulb has paid energy regulator Ofgem for failing to correctly interpret or comply with Ofgem’s rules. The utility has agreed to pay £1.76 million ($2.3 million) for failing to meet operational standards set by Ofgem around consumer switching, billing and the Priority Services Register. August 2020

There appears to be nil customer service at Bulb. I’m on the priority list. Can’t get an engineer out and when in credit by £300+ had my DD raised.
I’ve decided to contact ofgen and ditch bulb.

2 Likes

The WHD is paid by the DWP, no reason why you shouldn’t get it if you meet the qualifying criteria set by them

1 Like

i know i qualify skippy64 previous 2 suppliers have paid it out to me, both were very quick in paying it out should have stayed with scot power!

1 Like

think blub are just trying to maximise the interest before they pay it out?

wish i knew the answer, but starting to think something fishy is going on , all i read is problem after problem to much cutting corners and some white lies

2 Likes

Wonder if perhaps the “backers” are getting a bit nervous.
Have a feeling this years loss column is going to be horrendous

if this carry’s on then losses will be the last problem on the books keeping customers will be the bigger worry

1 Like

Hello @nicolacooper77 @laurasmjp @deek3_16 @Sheila2909

Thank you all for letting us know about your recent bill and payment increases.

I’ve taken a look into your accounts and sent each of you an email to explain the recent bills (or suggested payment increases) you’ve received.

Feel free to pop me a reply there and I’ll be happy to help!

Best wishes,
Freya @ Bulb :bulb:

I’m sorry to read all the issues with Bulb. I’ve always submitted meter readings online/app since I joined in 2017.

Our monthly payment seemed reasonable but during the heatwave of 2018 our payments went up £80🤨 I’m not sure as our central heating was off from April to October🤨

In 2019 I received an email from Bulb saying they recaluted and our monthly payment was halved as we were hundreds of pounds in credit :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I’ve just checked the app it says we are over £1000 in credit but yet the app says we need to INCREASE our monthly payment :rage:

I’ve tried calling Bulb but just get a chat bot😡

I want a refund of of the excess credit and my monthly bills calculated properly.

Davydave🥺

Ps 5 visits later our smart meter still isn’t set up…I just give up :triumph:

Bulb has paid energy regulator Ofgem for failing to correctly interpret or comply with Ofgem’s rules. The utility has agreed to pay £1.76 million ($2.3 million) for failing to meet operational standards set by Ofgem around consumer switching, billing and the Priority Services Register. August 2020

I was with ovo 18 months ago and my monthly bill for the last 12 months with them was 135.00 and when I left them my account was 325.00 in credit. Less than 8 months in with Bulb my monthly bill was increased to 300 a month and I am still over 200 in debit. My wife and I work from home due to covid so we expected to use more energy but the Increased cost seems excessive. As soon as we are back in credit I’m going back to ovo, they are much more professional and know what they are doing and treat their customers way better.

2 Likes