Which of these charities should we support?

Update:

Thanks so much everyone for all the votes (over 200 of you!). As we said before, it’s amazing to see all the passion for your charities.

The winner with 24% of the votes is Crisis. What a fantastic charity, doing excellent work all across the UK. We’ll keep you all updated on our plans for donation throughout December. If you’d like to donate in the meantime, here’s the link to donate to Crisis.

Thanks again everyone,
Hayden

Hi everyone, thanks so much for your help shortlisting the charity. Now, it’s time to vote. We’ll close this poll on Friday.

We were amazed to see so many people being so passionate about their suggestions, as well as promising to make their own donations.

The charities listed below are the ones mentioned most in our original community discussion and deliberately represent a wide variety of causes. It’s always a tough decision producing a shortlist of worthy causes like this. If a charity isn’t mentioned here, it certainly isn’t a reflection of their quality.

Also, as promised, one charity from the longlist was selected at random and has received a donation from us straight away. @michaelgroves, your suggestion, White Helmets, has just received £500 from us.

Thank you all for helping!

Here’s a quick run down on each of the charities and why we added them to the shortlist.

• Crisis had overwhelming support, so this one goes straight onto the shortlist. Donate here to support Crisis yourself.
  • White Helmets was close behind. Donate here.
  • Mind was suggested by several members, and we know that mental health is a hugely important cause to many people. Donate here.
  • Climate Outreach was suggested by jamieclarke. In your words Jamie, "they are championing the issue of climate change with people who have yet to be converted". Donate here.
  • Prisoners Education Trust was the only education charity suggested. They do great work helping people turn their lives around, and improve society as a whole. Donate here.
  • Samaritans, another popular choice with many members supporting them. Donate here.
  • National Energy Action was close to several peoples hearts. combating fuel poverty and keeping everyone warm. Donate here.

Hi there,

I do hate to sound like a petty pain but, as absolutely brilliant as all these charities are, some of them only operate in England, or in England and Wales. As a customer in Scotland, I’d like to ensure that donations reach areas where all your customers are (if it’s domestic obviously - clearly not an issue if White Helmets or global issue).

Thanks for this charity support - good to see Bulb supporting in this way.

Samaritans operate throughout the UK

Thanks for encouraging us to think about these issues. I’d be happy to donate my switch £50 to White Helmets if you have a mechanism for your customers to do so.

All very good causes but my support is for Crisis - can’ think of anything worse than being homeless this time of year

So many votes so far. Great work everyone.

@sookie Not a pain at all. We love suggestions like these. It’s a bit late for this time, but we’ll definitely spend more time thinking about nationwide charities next time. Thanks for the input.

@hayden @matthewb I’ve posted the link to this page on social media as I thought it was a public poll but maybe it’s just for bulb community members as people arent able to register from this link?

Pleased to get involved

It’s between White Helmets and Crisis for me… Let’s say the White Helmets! xxx

@hayden @matthewb I've posted the link to this page on social media as I thought it was a public poll but maybe it's just for bulb community members as people arent able to register from this link?

The more input the better. It’s a public poll. In fact, anyone can create a Bulb community account, regardless of whether they’re supplied by Bulb or not.

Keep as many people as possible warm over the winter months

Hi there,

I do hate to sound like a petty pain but, as absolutely brilliant as all these charities are, some of them only operate in England, or in England and Wales. As a customer in Scotland, I’d like to ensure that donations reach areas where all your customers are (if it’s domestic obviously - clearly not an issue if White Helmets or global issue).

Agreed, Sookie, I thought same during initial suggestions, but am very much in favour of White Helmets so didn’t think to comment further. Mind, for example, don’t cover Scotland, but I have to admit their information available online is excellent and available to all, so from that perspective I’d be happy to support a donation to them. It’s very difficult when we have different charities operating in the different nations of the UK, and it’s not often well known that some aren’t UK-wide, and is one of those things that winds me up from time to time (SSPCA/RSPCA has to be one of the most infuriating when other folk in Scotland are determined they’ll be contacting the RSPCA having no idea they don’t operate up here. I could do a whole soapbox on it :wink: )
As for choosing from the excellent suggestions made, it’s not an easy choice, they are all very worthwhile causes and hopefully by highlighting them here each will receive a wee boost in profile and funding regardless of which wins the vote overall. Thanks Bulb :slight_smile:

Thanks so much everyone for all the votes. As we said before, it’s amazing to see all the passion for your charities.

The winner with 24% of the votes is Crisis. What a fantastic charity, doing excellent work all across the UK. We’ll keep you all updated on our plans for donation throughout December. If you’d like to donate in the meantime, here’s the link to donate to Crisis.

Thanks again everyone,
Hayden

I’m very pleased to hear that Crisis has been nominated as the charity winner and especially pleased that The White Helmets were not due to their funding of nearly 60 million dollars funded by the US, UK and Dutch governments.

fabulous work, delighted that crisis has been chosen and that white helmets already received a donation :slight_smile: