Which report on greenwashing - what percentage of Bulb's energy is bought direct from renewables

Hi, I have just seen this report by Which accusing many companies of 'greenwashing the electricity supply just by buying REGO’s.
You mention these in your description of your renewable energy suppliers. What percentage is bought direct and what is bought using REGOs? I won’t be staying with BULB if you are also just greenwashing. Julia

I think the direct purchase agreements are circa 20%

If you look at my thread here it seems to be explained.

https://community.bulb.co.uk/discussion/10170/first-utilities-buyout-by-shell-and-validity-of-regos#latest

I don’t see the difference between direct contracts and REGOs. In both cases, a premium gets paid to the renewable generating company - either directly or indirectly. In both cases the energy produced gets tipped into the same grid we’re all connected to - there isn’t a physical means of funnelling the green power form the wind turbine past the power station to the Bulb (or whatever other supplier)'s customer, basically we’re all eating out of the same trough.

Whatever the provider’s means of stating that they’re 100% eco, organic, free-range, vegan or whatever then, if you switch your oven on at 5pm, you’re going to be using at least a proportion of fossil fuels. This mix will be the same for all customers at any moment, regardless of their choice of energy supplier.

Ultimately it’s all greenwashing. The country’s power generation is all switching to greener generation anyway due to government shoving it that way - either via legislation or subsidies. I haven’t seen any evidence that customers choosing “green” tariffs are likely to make this happen any quicker.

@IveGotThePower

https://www.regen.co.uk/we-need-to-talk-about-green-energy-tariffs/

Read this, it highlights the difference between green washing brown energy vs a true green tariff.

REGOs originate from a green power provider. I don’t see the fundamental difference between a supplier paying a power provider directly or that same provider selling its power as generic power then selling its REGO separately. The REGO can then be re-sold and ultimately gets bought by the “eco” supplier using the premium proportion of its price.

Either way, it amounts to the same thing, taking extra money from consumers and passing it onto companies that produce power via eco means. It’s just a question of whether it’s direct or indirect. Either MAY influence the power providers but it’s hard to tell how much effect this has, as all of this is alongside regulations and government incentives that also pull in the same direction.

But, ultimately, whatever supplier we pay, we all take our power from the same wires. If one household switches from a standard suppier to an eco one then an eco power station for that house does not immediately get built. Everyone uses a proportion of fossil fuel, nuclear, wind, gas and everything else all the time, with a continuously varying mix.