Who is responsible for the Economy 7 meter removal?

I have an economy 7 meter in my house which I pay a daily standing charge for. It was linked to old storage heaters which have been removed.

I asked Bulb to remove the old one and they said it would be £120 for an engineer who would come and do the necessary work. Then when I called back to book the work I was told I had to pay my own electrician to move the electricity supply from the economy 7 meter to the main meter. I’ve consulted a few electricians who won’t do the work and state it’s the job of the electricity supplier.

I’m at a bit of a loss how to go forward as Bulb are refusing to remove the meter without an electrician attending first. I’ve had conflicting advice from Bulb but was of the understanding that the engineer would be able to competently move the electricity supply. Any advice is appeciated

Hi there @Lucya90 this sounds like a tricky one,m it may be best for you to give us a ring on 0300 30 30 635 from 9:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday so we can talk it over on the phone. But essentially we can send out an engineer to disconnect and remove the meter, that’s not a problem, the issue I believe is that our engineers only deal with the meter so if anything needs to be rewired in your house they wouldn’t be able to touch that. So if they were just to turn up and remove the meter and there was still energy running through it, that energy would be cut off. You’d need to electrician to make sure that no energy is running through the meter first, that the circuit it’s in isn’t powering anything, then we’ll be able to remove it for you. I would recommend giving us a ring though