Why advertise during Scourge of our streets programme?

I was very disappointed that Bulb advertised during this programme that has increased tension between all road users

Depending on what advertising package Bulb purchased, they might not have got to select the programme : it can be (at least last time I looked at TV advertising which was over a decade ago), cheaper to just get an ‘any Evening weekday programme slot’ than a specific ‘In Coronation Street slot’.

Hi @Balamory

Thanks for pointing this out. @RichyB is right that we buy certain times of day rather than individual programmes. So this would have been an ‘all-day’ slot which is more cost effective.

We certainly don’t think that bicycles are the “scourge of our streets” or cyclists are “a plague of lotuses”. We encourage our team to cycle where possible and are part of the cycle to work scheme.

I find cycling in London a bit scary at times but it’s becoming a much more cycle friendly city. There are more and more cyclist on the roads and the ‘quiet routes’ make it feel safer. Are you a cyclists? Do you feel safe on the roads?

@“Eleanor at Bulb” I cycle four figures of miles every year on my bike.

Some times I have never felt more in fear for my life between the shocking state of the roads round me and motorists passing within a foot of me.

Attitudes need to change as bikes are significantly more space efficient for single users on the road.

I’ve cycled on the continent and the attitude was so much better.

To help local pollution anyone commuting within the same city should be biking.

Itll be quicker to cycle distances of less than 5 miles in cities.

I have had fun on the hire bikes in london when I was there on a couple of occasions

Some times I have never felt more in fear for my life between the shocking state of the roads round me and motorists passing within a foot of me.

What is annoying close to where I live we have an excellent tarmac cycle path (shared with walkers) which is well over a car width which runs fairly parallel with the main road. And where do the cyclist decide to travel, yep the main road. the logic of this fails me. I always give the cyclist a very wide berth and travel at a low speed as I pass them.

@FromTheValleys as a cyclist would you rather use the dedicated cycle path with limited danger to yourself ot put your life in the hands of cars passing you on the main road?

@Allanr round me, cycle paths either dont exist, are full of debris, full of parked cars, or are sk poorly planned it’s not worth using them.

Plus being a road cyclist, 15 to 20mph is way too fast for shared paths.

Proper dedicated lanes like in london are needed everywhere.

@Allanr round me, cycle paths either dont exist, are full of debris, full of parked cars, or are sk poorly planned it's not worth using them.

Plus being a road cyclist, 15 to 20mph is way too fast for shared paths.

Proper dedicated lanes like in london are needed everywhere.

The dedicated cycle paths by me are clear of debris and no cars are able to access them due to barriers, the same also applies to motorbikes. The paths are very wide (possibly 8 foot or so) with a lack of potholes and with sufficient room to pass anyone walking although obviously you would have to adjust the cycle speed as you pass them.

This has to be far safer for the cyclist than going on the main road?

Bear in mind cars have to reduce their speeds to that of the cyclist until a suitable opportunity for overtaking. The main road I have in mind snakes so it limits the opportunity for the car driver to safely pass the cyclist. The road isn’t sufficiently wide or suitable to put in a dedicated lane hence why the off road cyclist/pedestrian path was provided.