Why are you charging me if my account is in positive balance?

All of our members pay their bills a month in advance. This means that your account will always usually have one months payment in it. We also help members build up a bit of a buffer during warmer months so that winter is less of a shock.

The difference between winter and spring

People generally use more energy in the winter. It’s darker, colder and it’s just nicer to stay in with the heating on. During the warmer months we build up a bit of a buffer so that your winter bills aren’t too high, but if you join us close to the start of winter your winter bills will be a tad higher. They’ll then drop in April when you’re using less energy.

Getting a refund

We’ll be happy to refund you anything over what we estimate you’ll use in the next month. To get it, send us a new meter reading so that we can update your account balance and then get in touch with us by email to help@bulb.co.uk or calling us on 0300 30 30 635. Remember that in future you may need to increase your monthly payments, especially in winter when people tend to use more energy .

I think its good to have a bit of a buffer before winter our bill came in today for the last few months and we’ve got quite a bit left over. We could request the monthly charge to be reduced but we think it would be best to leave it for the next three months and see.

I think this arrangement is gonna put me off even thinking of switching to Bulb.

I have a real issue with the faff of computers estimating how much energy I’m gonna use according to the time of year, with an account being in credit or in debit, etc. The way you do it just leaves people open to confusion and irritation if they don’t like the amount you’ve estimated is a sensible amount to pay monthly, with the potential for refunds needing to be sent out (this has happened several times on my water account).

Having to pay in advance is pretty lame as well.

Regardless of how much money I could save by switching, I’d much, MUCH rather just pay for what I’ve used, following a bill sent to me every quarter, as I do at present - no messing about, and I know exactly where I stand.

K.I.S.S. (No - I’m not kissing anyone.)

Thanks for the feedback @gordie

Keeping it simple is very important to us. (Wow, that sounds like a cliche, but it’s true).

We think it’s simpler to know that the same amount is going out of your account every month. Wouldn’t it be more of a faff to have to keep an eye on your usage every month and make sure that you have enough in your account. That’s how bill shock happens, especially with higher usage in winter.

@will:

We think it's simpler to know that the same amount is going out of your account every month. Wouldn't it be more of a faff to have to keep an eye on your usage every month and make sure that you have enough in your account. That's how bill shock happens, especially with higher usage in winter.

Some fair points, but I guess it’s just down to personal preference really, and mine is with a quarterly bill. I know I can trust the accuracy of a bill every 3 months that tells me exactly what I’ve used and how much it’s cost me, especially if it’s based on an actual meter reading. I’d rather that than hope the system has worked out an appropriate amount to charge me each month.

All of our bills are based on actual meter readings. We only use estimated readings when members don’t provide them, and even then we send out meter readers to get actual reads. We’re not interested in members building up unnecessary balances, and we’ll actively make sure that payment schedules always reflect your actual usage.

I guess there is some personal preference in there though :slight_smile:

We changed years ago to monthly payments we’ve paid a few months extra at times but I soon nip that in the bud abd ask for a reduction and if we are over on the 3 months we pay the difference straight away and keep the monthly charge to a minimum. We recently changed tariff to a more convenient and cheaper one and we will keep a watch on the monthly payments. I don’t.like the monthly payments but there’s no doubt it’s saving us money.