Why do you have to pay by card?


It seems the only option is to pay for bulb by card. I have a ‘house’ account which doesn’t have a card that all of my bills usually come out of. Is it not possible to provide Bulb the account number and sort code instead of card details?


Hi @lauraevbuxton if you would like to set up with a direct debit please give us a call on 0300 30 30 635.

At Bulb, we prefer debit card payments as they are much more modern. They are quick, seamless and you, as the payer, have just as much control over them as direct debit. Plus they have the added benefit of not resulting in fines by the member’s bank for insufficient funds. It’s a win-win in our books.

What control does the payer have over debit card payments? Direct debits are trivial to cancel online or in-app, I’ve never seen a way to cancel a continuous authority card payment.

@colin672 great question!

The law says you can withdraw your consent and stop a future payment under a continuous payment authority at any time up to the end of business on the day before the payment is due.

To withdraw consent, simply tell whoever issued your card (the bank, building society or credit card company) that you don’t want the payment to be made. You can tell the card issuer by phone, email or letter.

(Source: Citizens Advice)