Why is my Bulb bill so expensive?

I’ve recently moved to Bulb. I’m a huge believer in renewable energy and the affordable pricing made my mind up for me. Our estimated cost was £57PM for Gas and Electricity.

I’ve given 2 meter readings now and my bills are still over £100PM

I live with my girlfriend in a small house and we both work full time, as we both are very eco-minded, we never have the heating on and only have the hot water on for two 2 hour periods per day to try and use as little energy and maximise savings. All bulbs in our house are 3W LED’s. I have no idea why my bill is double the estimated cost.

Any ideas? Thanks :slight_smile:

I would take the readings you have submitted and work out (even if approx) what the cost is and compare to your bills, this will give you an idea if the bills are way out. On the other hand we have had a cold spell and it could be your usage is higher than normal.

If you need any help working it out PM me with some readings and I can do it for you.

I've recently moved to Bulb. I'm a huge believer in renewable energy and the affordable pricing made my mind up for me. Our estimated cost was £57PM for Gas and Electricity.

I live with my girlfriend in a small house and we both work full time, as we both are very eco-minded, we never have the heating on and only have the hot water on for two 2 hour periods per day to try and use as little energy and maximise savings. All bulbs in our house are 3W LED’s. I have no idea why my bill is double the estimated cost.

Does your bill say estimate or reading? Maybe your not giving the readings at the right time and they are being estimated… over £100pm does sound alot compared to what im paying - my last 2 bills have been about £70 and we have the heating on when needed (more than 2 x 2 hour periods a day), live in a house that is terrible for keeping heat in (listed building with stone walls etc etc). I would expect your bills to be higher than what your paying in as it is winter but im only about £15/20 higher than my estimated monthly bill

I would take the readings you have submitted and work out (even if approx) what the cost is and compare to your bills, this will give you an idea if the bills are way out. On the other hand we have had a cold spell and it could be your usage is higher than normal.

If you need any help working it out PM me with some readings and I can do it for you.

Cheers buddy, is there a meter reading history on here?

I've recently moved to Bulb. I'm a huge believer in renewable energy and the affordable pricing made my mind up for me. Our estimated cost was £57PM for Gas and Electricity.

Does your bill say estimate or reading? Maybe your not giving the readings at the right time and they are being estimated… over £100pm does sound alot compared to what im paying - my last 2 bills have been about £70 and we have the heating on when needed (more than 2 x 2 hour periods a day), live in a house that is terrible for keeping heat in (listed building with stone walls etc etc). I would expect your bills to be higher than what your paying in as it is winter but im only about £15/20 higher than my estimated monthly bill

On my statements is says

Oct Money in £57.10
Nov Money in £57.10
Nov Money out £80.66
Dec Money in £57.11
Dec Money out £93.16

Maybe I’m misunderstanding my billing

Thanks for your help

Go to your account and…
My usage
Scroll down for history and you should get your previous readings.

Hiya @Wheresmark :slight_smile: So it looks at the moment as though our system has estimated your reads for gas these past two months. It’s quite fussy and it likes to have received a readin the two days prior to creating your bill - so in your case, this is on the 16th or 17th of the month. The estimates are created based on a profile of your particular meters, and their habitual power usage- so in your case, your estimates for gas look to be a bit higher than your actual usage. The other thing it’s good to be aware of is that we expect our customers to be using more than their monthly direct debit at the moment. This is because the direct debit figure is an average of what we think you’ll spend in winter and summer. So you’ll see you spend far less than this in the summer.
Hope that helps a bit!

Similar scenario here: Bulb estimated a monthly cost of £85, but our recent monthly bill is £160.59
May I transfer to a more economical tariff please, as this bill has come as a complete shock.
Our previous provider was at a fixed fee of £101 per month, we changed to Bulb for their lower rate, but the Bulb bills appear to be higher than quoted.

It’s called maths. An AVERAGE monthly COST of £85 per month over a year could include a monthly high of £203 (February) and a monthly low of £62 (August) - as in my own case. BULB attempts to even this out by asking you to PAY for more than you use in the summer months and less than you use in the winter. At the end of the year all should balance out. I’ve just checked my first complete year and found that BULB’s estimate was about two hundred quid higher than our usage, so they’ll adjust for that in next year’s payments. Please do check the total that you’ve paid from your debit card; it should be different to the COST of energy used in that month (unless there’s been a huge coincidence).

@SLondon, you’re best off taking a look at the unit costs for gas, electricity and standing charge in your welcome pack and compare against your previous supplier.

I expect you’ll find they’re lower. If they are, just ensure you provide regular meter readings and everything will work out cheaper in the end.
What Bulb is charging to your account month to month now may be more than you’re expecting as you will use more energy in the winter.

It's called maths.
;)

@SLondon Hey there, to make sure that your recent bill is an accurate estimate and falls in line with your direct debit amount, just give us a new meter reading. If it looks like your direct debit is too low or too high, you can always change it on your My Bulb account.

It may be that we are overestimating your winter usage, your readings will help answer that question for us and provide you with an accurate statement :slight_smile:

Cheers, Vicky

Thank you for your kind response, Vicky. Shall do :slight_smile: