Why wont you accept my meter reading?

As title really, I input meter readings on line or android app, and its rejected, whats the point? this is different than we expected,

HOW WOULD YOU KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT ? I am a new customer you have no history of my usage in this new to me house.

They would know what the last meter reading on the national database was…

Email them a picture of your meter.

As title really, I input meter readings on line or android app, and its rejected, whats the point? this is different than we expected,

HOW WOULD YOU KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT ? I am a new customer you have no history of my usage in this new to me house.

This is basically a customer to customer forum and none of us customers can provide a definitive answer to your query. The Bulb team do visit the forum at regular intervals but it may be more appropriate if you contact them direct via this link: How to get in touch – Bulb

There is a national database of meter readings, so I can only assume the closing reading provided by the previous occupier of your new home has given a reading which is not anywhere near to the reading you submitted to Bulb.

Thanks for your comments, I have already sent a photograph, just seems stupid to ask for a meter reading and then not accept it, thanks for the link I will contact them directly,

Thanks for your comments, I have already sent a photograph, just seems stupid to ask for a meter reading and then not accept it, thanks for the link I will contact them directly,

I assume until you send your meter reading Bulb wont know if it is correct or not.

Just for clarity are you a very new Bulb customer attempting to submit your first reading? Or have you previously submitted readings which have been accepted but you most recent reading is not being accepted?

@donk We want to check readings sometimes if they look like they are far removed from what we expected. Your reading looks ok so has now been added to your account :slight_smile:

I have same problem, in my case British Gas accepted my moving in meter reading from 25 January, switch took place to Bulb on 30th January with Bulb now trying to use a Gas estimated meter reading 25 units less than when I moved in, which is a lot of money, I have sent this email jointly to British Gas and BULB, having provided opening reading to BG day I moved in, and actual meter reading to BULB on day of switch this matter has caused me a lot of stress and inconvenience, will require full remedial outcome and answers via BULB complaints procedure

Sent joint email to British Gas and Bulb

Contents of this email from Bulb is a load of nonsense—Being as I haven’t lived self contained for nearly 5 years isn’t possible for anyone to estimate my usage particularly as I wud rather be cold most of the time than have heating on.

For years prior to 2014 I was a serial energy switcher for incentive reasons never ever did a energy supplier question or try and contradict a actual reading given by me

On moving into the property after previous owners had moved out on same day, I turned off the heating took both gas and electricity meter readings which were notified to british gas —GAS READING WAS 1729

ON 30TH JANUARY DATE OF SWITCH TO BULB GAS READING WAS STILL 1729

Only person who can contradict this is if a actual reading was taken by an official from energy company on same day(s)

British Gas have clearly accepted opening account reading of 1729

BULB stand to gain from opening reading of 1704 , previous owners stand to gain from this reading of 1704

I now wish to make a formal complaint to BULB,who is this stated to be independent company that checks meter readings and on what basis did “They’ve created an estimate by adding your expected usage to the last reading your old supplier sent them”

They create an estimate from the national data base for that property, as far as I am aware they decide what readings both suppliers use if there is an issue.
That aside this is a customer forum so you need to contact Bulb direct to make a formal complaint.

January was colder than oct nov, dec thus an estimate up until 24th January based on what a property had been using by a previously occupied house by 2 adults and 2 children cant be used against a new sole occupier

The previous supplier had accepted meter reading that I gave them upon moving into property as it issued a estimated bill starting from move in date up until mid February with opening customer Gas reading of 1729

based on what a property had been using by a previously occupied house by 2 adults and 2 children cant be used against a new sole occupier
The estimates in the data base are for the property not people, eg if the property was previously occupied by 10 people and heating costs were astronomical, then a single person moves in and rarely uses gas or elect, then the estimates would be based on the prvious owners and not the single occupier. Once customers start submitting monthly readings then the estimates disappear and actual figures are used.
Only person who can contradict this is if a actual reading was taken by an official from energy company on same day(s)

British Gas have clearly accepted opening account reading of 1729

BULB stand to gain from opening reading of 1704 , previous owners stand to gain from this reading of 1704

I now wish to make a formal complaint to BULB,who is this stated to be independent company that checks meter readings and on what basis did “They’ve created an estimate by adding your expected usage to the last reading your old supplier sent them”

Why post here on this public forum when Bulb has a formal complaint procedure see: Making a complaint – Bulb

Also at the end of the day Bulb and your previous supplier will use the same meter reading for their respective opening and closing readings.

I assume you have received the final bill from British Gas?