Will I pay the same amount each month?

Hi, I am on Direct debit per month for both my gas and electricity with Bulb. I was wondering whether If I use less energy in the month is this reflected in my bill at the end of the month or is it at the fixed price given to me at the beginning? Similarly, if I use more or excessive usage will I get a warning or will I just be charged more? Please, could you let me know. Thank you. Regards.

You pay the same amount each month, but your bill will reflect the usage that will vary. As you pay the same every month the idea is it evens out over the year(summer you use less than in winter)… So if you use more over winter than you pay in you won’t get a warning, bulb may contact you if its getting too far out of hand.

Likewise in summer you’ll probably be paying in more than you actually use, so your bill will represent this but you won’t get a reduction in the amount you pay that month, unless you have alot of credit and ask bulb to either pay some out/reduce your bill or pause it for abit.

The amount you have in credit/debit will vary, at the end of the day you only pay for the energy you use, but what you pay each month may be higher or lower than your actual usage in that specific month.

So if we use less in the Summer will we be entitled to less direct debit payments. As well as in Winter, how will we know if we have gone over our average usage. As currently we are charged around £75.00 a month on Direct debit, so if we exceed the amount of energy will this amount increase substantially?

In Summer you will use less fuel but your DD payments will remain the same but your fuel costs will be less, the theory being that over summer you will build some credit in your account, then when winter kicks in your fuel costs will be higher, your DD payments will still remain the same but the credit built up over summer + your DD should pay for the higher winter costs.

If your bills go in excess either way contact Bulb and adjustments can be made.

Hi @Nunu – I agree with @tom6685 and @scudo

Here’s the general schtick we give members about the payments and statement cycle.

As we take payments in advance we take one payment at the beginning of the month which enters your Bulb account as credit.

At the end of the month we send you a statement based on meter readings summarising your consumption and the cost of your energy usage.

If you use less energy than the monthly payment your account will be in credit. If you use more energy than the monthly payment your account will go into debit.

If you see that you’re building up a large credit you can get in touch with us to get money transferred to you as a refund.

If you see that you’re building up a large debit, you can make a top-up payment at my.bulb.co.uk in the payment details section. In fact, you can adjust your payment up – or down – at my.bulb.co.uk.

Best,
Andrew

Has this changed, Andrew? I keep reading about needing two months’ ‘winter buffer’ in your account rather than the summer payments building up to cover winter charges, perhaps topped up if needed. I am very concerned that Bulb will start demanding higher payments from me. What is the truth, please?

Has this changed, Andrew? I keep reading about needing two months' 'winter buffer' in your account rather than the summer payments building up to cover winter charges, perhaps topped up if needed. I am very concerned that Bulb will start demanding higher payments from me. What is the truth, please?

“summer payments building up to cover winter charges” is a qualitative way of saying “two months’ 'winter buffer”.

i.e., you pay more in the summer and build up a buffer to help cover your higher usage over the winter months.

It’s no big deal. Stop panicking.

Has this changed, Andrew? I keep reading about needing two months' 'winter buffer' in your account rather than the summer payments building up to cover winter charges, perhaps topped up if needed. I am very concerned that Bulb will start demanding higher payments from me. What is the truth, please?

Some of the regulars who post on this forum have expressed their concerns that the current methodology used by Bulb to calculate DD increases is somewhat flawed.

What @Andrew at Bulb said in his comments above is how I as a customer think Bulb should work and is what I was used to with my two previous suppliers.

In my response to you on another thread an hour or so ago I gave advice as to a suitable approach in setting your DD payment amount. I wasn’t aware of @Andrew at Bulb posting when I wrote my response to you, but it looks very similar to my suggestion.